Обсуждение: problem with initlocation

problem with initlocation

От
"Josef J. Micka"
Дата:
i want to make database in another place and i'm unable to use
initlocation, and i don't know, what i'm doing wrong.

this is what i do, and i think it's correct.

www:/home/db/postgres$ su postgres
postgres@www:/home/db/postgres$ ls -l
total 12
drwx------  6 postgres postgres 4096 Aug 31 14:59 data
drwxr-xr-x  2 postgres postgres 4096 Aug 31 14:19 data-web
drwx------  3 postgres postgres 4096 Oct 15  2004 dumpall
postgres@www:/home/db/postgres$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/initlocation
/home/db/postgres/data-web/
initlocation: cannot be run as root
Please log in (using, e.g., "su") as the (unprivileged) user that will
own the server process.
postgres@www:/home/db/postgres$

postgres server runs under user postgres
postgres@www:/home/web/holandsko# ps uxaw |grep post
postgres 11006  0.0  0.0 17088 1292 ?        S    Jun29   7:16
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/postgres/data
postgres 11012  0.0  0.1  7888 2668 ?        S    Jun29  11:22 postgres:
stats buffer process
postgres 11013  0.0  0.1  7944 2500 ?        S    Jun29  10:09 postgres:
stats collector process
postgres 11029  0.0  0.1 12780 3116 ?        Ss   Jun29  17:58
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_autovacuum -D -p 5432 -L
/var/log/postgresql/autovacuum_log

and info about system
Debian Sarge, kernel 2.4.32, postgresql version 7.4.7

thanks
Josef Micka

Re: problem with initlocation

Дата:
"Josef J. Micka" <postgres@maylo.cz> writes:
> i want to make database in another place and i'm unable to use
> initlocation, and i don't know, what i'm doing wrong.

> this is what i do, and i think it's correct.

> www:/home/db/postgres$ su postgres

Try "su - postgres" ... plain su retains root's environment.

            regards, tom lane

Re: problem with initlocation

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 10:05, Josef J. Micka wrote:
> i want to make database in another place and i'm unable to use
> initlocation, and i don't know, what i'm doing wrong.
>
> this is what i do, and i think it's correct.
>
> www:/home/db/postgres$ su postgres
> postgres@www:/home/db/postgres$ ls -l
> total 12
> drwx------  6 postgres postgres 4096 Aug 31 14:59 data
> drwxr-xr-x  2 postgres postgres 4096 Aug 31 14:19 data-web
> drwx------  3 postgres postgres 4096 Oct 15  2004 dumpall
> postgres@www:/home/db/postgres$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/initlocation
> /home/db/postgres/data-web/
> initlocation: cannot be run as root

What does the command whoami say right before you would run the
initlocation?

Re: problem with initlocation

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 10:05, Josef J. Micka wrote:
>> i want to make database in another place and i'm unable to use
>> initlocation, and i don't know, what i'm doing wrong.
>>
>> this is what i do, and i think it's correct.
>>
>> www:/home/db/postgres$ su postgres
>> postgres@www:/home/db/postgres$ ls -l
>> total 12
>> drwx------  6 postgres postgres 4096 Aug 31 14:59 data
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 postgres postgres 4096 Aug 31 14:19 data-web
>> drwx------  3 postgres postgres 4096 Oct 15  2004 dumpall
>> postgres@www:/home/db/postgres$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/initlocation
>> /home/db/postgres/data-web/
>> initlocation: cannot be run as root
>
> What does the command whoami say right before you would run the
> initlocation?

I think a more appropriate question would be why is he running a version
of PostgreSQL that still has initlocation?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Josef J. Micka" <postgres@maylo.cz> writes:
>

>>i want to make database in another place and i'm unable to use
>>initlocation, and i don't know, what i'm doing wrong.
>>

>>this is what i do, and i think it's correct.
>>

>>www:/home/db/postgres$ su postgres
>>

>Try "su - postgres" ... plain su retains root's environment.
>
>            regards, tom lane

thanks, that works
i'm using su only sometimes, and don't know about this apearance. (never
had problems with "su" becausy mostly i'm running it from non-privileged
user, but because user postgres has no password and no shell, i must do
that from root this time)

so thanks again.

regards,
Josef

Re: problem with initlocation

От
"Josef J. Micka"
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 10:05, Josef J. Micka wrote:
>>
>>> i want to make database in another place and i'm unable to use
>>> initlocation, and i don't know, what i'm doing wrong.
>>>
>>> this is what i do, and i think it's correct.
>>>
>>> www:/home/db/postgres$ su postgres
>>> postgres@www:/home/db/postgres$ ls -l
>>> total 12
>>> drwx------  6 postgres postgres 4096 Aug 31 14:59 data
>>> drwxr-xr-x  2 postgres postgres 4096 Aug 31 14:19 data-web
>>> drwx------  3 postgres postgres 4096 Oct 15  2004 dumpall
>>> postgres@www:/home/db/postgres$ /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/initlocation
>>> /home/db/postgres/data-web/
>>> initlocation: cannot be run as root
>>

>> What does the command whoami say right before you would run the
>> initlocation?
>

> I think a more appropriate question would be why is he running a
> version of PostgreSQL that still has initlocation?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

>> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

because it's latest stable version for debian sarge.
and i rather use possibly "older but stable" software, then "unstable"
or "development" software on production server.
also i don't need features of new version, in fact, i may stay on 6.5,
but from my point of view is 7.4 faster, and as i said, it's "stable"
for debian.

regards
Josef J. Micka

Re: problem with initlocation

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 10:14, Josef J. Micka wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > Scott Marlowe wrote:
> >>
> >> What does the command whoami say right before you would run the
> >> initlocation?
> >

> > I think a more appropriate question would be why is he running a
> > version of PostgreSQL that still has initlocation?
> >
> because it's latest stable version for debian sarge.
> and i rather use possibly "older but stable" software, then "unstable"
> or "development" software on production server.
> also i don't need features of new version, in fact, i may stay on 6.5,
> but from my point of view is 7.4 faster, and as i said, it's "stable"
> for debian.

As someone else who is running 7.4, I can say that while I'd love to
push 8.0 or 8.1 into production, it often takes a year or more from the
time something is released until it can be used.

But I don't think I'd run any version of PostgreSQL older than 7.3 in
production.  There were major, data losing bugs in versions before that
version that make them unsuitable for production, like transaction ID
wrap around.

Re: problem with initlocation

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

>>> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>>>

> because it's latest stable version for debian sarge.
> and i rather use possibly "older but stable" software, then "unstable"
> or "development" software on production server.

I firmly agree with you. The latest STABLE version of PostgreSQL is 8.1.4.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: problem with initlocation

От
Andy Shellam
Дата:
Compile it from source - 8.1.4 is the latest stable version.
The 6.5 series is not just old, it's ancient.  It hasn't been updated
since 1999.

There are some serious bugs in the earlier versions, even in the early
7.x series that do and have resulted in data loss.

At least get and test out an 8.x series install, you might be surprised,
and it may just save your data.

---