Обсуждение: DBA tasks

DBA tasks

От
Mark Matthews
Дата:
Hello,

Can anyone recommend good reference text, web or other, for general
PostgreSQL DBA tasks.

Stuff like:
* Things to do to clean up periodically (CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL, etc)
* How to analyse queries to optimise data retrieval (Use of EXPLAIN,
etc)
* etc ...

We are running Debian stable (sarge) and therefore 7.4. Moving to 8.1
soon (hopefully)

I am a developer who has adopted the role of DBA.

Thanks

Mark Matthews
Object Craft Pty Ltd
http://www.object-craft.com.au

Re: DBA tasks

От
"Nabil Sawaya"
Дата:
Hello friend,

Well, I have not a tutorial at hand now, but i can say to you some
tasks i remember, and these can make you spent a long time learning
about how to do.

I think that the tasks essentially you must to know are:

- Install database
- Configure the two most important files (pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf)
- Install an know how to use psql
- Install an IDE Tool - originally, PgAdmin
- You can get a plus using PgAgent, to do jobs, etc...
- Create a Database, set encoding char, etc...
- Install a Procedural Language as PL/pgSQL
- Create Tablespaces (8.0 or higher) (It´s more important know why use
tablespaces before create them)
- Database Roles and Privileges
- Managing Databases
- Client Authentication
- Backup and restore
- Monitoring Database activity
- Monitoring disk usage

three tips:

1) do not use vacuum all the time. schedule daily and weekly it.
2) learn about re-index
3) sometimes is better make a dump than vacuum and re-index.

that´s all

if you wish more, send another questions to my e-mail

Hugs

Nabil Sawaya

Re: DBA tasks

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 08:43:15AM +1000, Mark Matthews wrote:
> Can anyone recommend good reference text, web or other, for general
> PostgreSQL DBA tasks.

The PostgreSQL documentation is a good place to start.  See "Server
Administration," especially the chapters concerning routine maintenance,
backup and restore, and monitoring.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/admin.html

(Adjust the link to match the version you're running.)

> Stuff like:
> * Things to do to clean up periodically (CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL, etc)

See above.

> * How to analyse queries to optimise data retrieval (Use of EXPLAIN,
> etc)

See "Performance Tips" in the documentation and the tuning documents
at powerpostgresql.com.  You could also peruse the list archives,
especially pgsql-performance, to see how real performance problems
have been investigated and addressed.  For example, search for
threads that contain the words "EXPLAIN ANALYZE".

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/performance-tips.html
http://www.powerpostgresql.com/Docs/
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/

The General Bits newsletter has interesting articles; see the
Archives and General Tidbits links.

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/

> We are running Debian stable (sarge) and therefore 7.4. Moving to 8.1
> soon (hopefully)

Before upgrading read the Release Notes for all newer versions to
see what changes you'll be getting.  See also "If You Are Upgrading"
in the Installation Instructions and read the Backup and Restore
chapter, which has a "Migration Between Releases" section.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/release.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/install-upgrading.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/migration.html

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: DBA tasks

От
Thomas SMETS

Fine
but in the long run, we'd need something like Donald Burleson's web site
/ books with extended internals explainaintions, no ... ?

\T,

Michael Fuhr wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 08:43:15AM +1000, Mark Matthews wrote:
>

>>Can anyone recommend good reference text, web or other, for general
>>PostgreSQL DBA tasks.
>>

>The PostgreSQL documentation is a good place to start.  See "Server
>Administration," especially the chapters concerning routine maintenance,
>backup and restore, and monitoring.
>
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/admin.html
>
>(Adjust the link to match the version you're running.)
>

>>Stuff like:
>>* Things to do to clean up periodically (CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL, etc)
>>

>See above.
>

>>* How to analyse queries to optimise data retrieval (Use of EXPLAIN,
>>etc)
>>

>See "Performance Tips" in the documentation and the tuning documents
>at powerpostgresql.com.  You could also peruse the list archives,
>especially pgsql-performance, to see how real performance problems
>have been investigated and addressed.  For example, search for
>threads that contain the words "EXPLAIN ANALYZE".
>
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/performance-tips.html
>http://www.powerpostgresql.com/Docs/
>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/
>
>The General Bits newsletter has interesting articles; see the
>Archives and General Tidbits links.
>
>http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/
>

>>We are running Debian stable (sarge) and therefore 7.4. Moving to 8.1
>>soon (hopefully)
>>

>Before upgrading read the Release Notes for all newer versions to
>see what changes you'll be getting.  See also "If You Are Upgrading"
>in the Installation Instructions and read the Backup and Restore
>chapter, which has a "Migration Between Releases" section.
>
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/release.html
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/install-upgrading.html
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/migration.html

--