Re: DBA tasks

От Nabil Sawaya
Тема Re: DBA tasks
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello friend,

Well, I have not a tutorial at hand now, but i can say to you some
tasks i remember, and these can make you spent a long time learning
about how to do.

I think that the tasks essentially you must to know are:

- Install database
- Configure the two most important files (pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf)
- Install an know how to use psql
- Install an IDE Tool - originally, PgAdmin
- You can get a plus using PgAgent, to do jobs, etc...
- Create a Database, set encoding char, etc...
- Install a Procedural Language as PL/pgSQL
- Create Tablespaces (8.0 or higher) (It´s more important know why use
tablespaces before create them)
- Database Roles and Privileges
- Managing Databases
- Client Authentication
- Backup and restore
- Monitoring Database activity
- Monitoring disk usage

three tips:

1) do not use vacuum all the time. schedule daily and weekly it.
2) learn about re-index
3) sometimes is better make a dump than vacuum and re-index.

that´s all

if you wish more, send another questions to my e-mail

Hugs

Nabil Sawaya