Обсуждение: Starting in a Windows administrative account

Starting in a Windows administrative account

От
"Davidson, Robert"

In the thread:

Fix for running from admin account on win32

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-01/msg00172.php

An optimistic reading is that postgresql will be able to drop dangerous permissions as it starts up instead of requiring an unprivileged account. Is this the case? If so, how soon will it be rolled into a downloadable release?

If not, is there any way around the administrative check? I am not concerned about remote users escalating privileges because I use it to test and develop only when I am off-line and unable to access the production database (this will not be configured to allow any network users to access postgres).

Many thanks,

Robert Davidson

Re: Starting in a Windows administrative account

От
"Magnus Hagander"
> In the thread:
>
> Fix for running from admin account on win32
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-01/msg00172.
> php
> <http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-01/msg00172.php>
>
> An optimistic reading is that postgresql will be able to drop
> dangerous permissions as it starts up instead of requiring an
> unprivileged account. Is this the case?

Yes.

> If so, how soon will it be rolled into a downloadable release?

It will be in 8.2. The patch should apply to 8.1 as well if you need it
earlier, since it's very localised to pg_ctl and initdb.

> If not, is there any way around the administrative check?

Until then, no - unless you want to take out the check completely from
the source.

//Magnus

Re: Starting in a Windows administrative account

От
"Davidson, Robert"
Дата:
To add and compile the source I can follow the instructions here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_MINGW.html

but I am not sure where to put the patches to have them included or whether I should use the ./configure and its
argumentsto include them. Any advice would be appreciated. I have successfully compiled on Linux systems.

BTW - the ability do this in a secure manner is fantastic and your work to accomplish this is much appreciated.

I am also willing to wait a little while for 8.2, but could not find an ETA on the Developer's Roadmap page. Is there a
betterplace to look for this or is it more of a "no wine before its time - so don't whine!" situation?

Thanks,

Robert

> Fix for running from admin account on win32
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-01/msg00172.
> php
> <http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-01/msg00172.php>
>
> An optimistic reading is that postgresql will be able to drop
> dangerous permissions as it starts up instead of requiring an
> unprivileged account. Is this the case?

Yes.

> If so, how soon will it be rolled into a downloadable release?

It will be in 8.2. The patch should apply to 8.1 as well if you need it
earlier, since it's very localised to pg_ctl and initdb.

> If not, is there any way around the administrative check?

Until then, no - unless you want to take out the check completely from
the source.

//Magnus

Re: Starting in a Windows administrative account

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> To add and compile the source I can follow the instructions here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_MINGW.html
>
> but I am not sure where to put the patches to have them
> included or whether I should use the ./configure and its
> arguments to include them. Any advice would be appreciated. I
> have successfully compiled on Linux systems.

You put the patches in the root and use "patch -p0 <foo.patch". And then
you run the configure and build steps just like before.

I've been considering putting up backported binaries of this. Perhaps I
should do that when I get around to my win32 compile box ;)

> BTW - the ability do this in a secure manner is fantastic and
> your work to accomplish this is much appreciated.

Thanks.

> I am also willing to wait a little while for 8.2, but could
> not find an ETA on the Developer's Roadmap page. Is there a
> better place to look for this or is it more of a "no wine
> before its time - so don't whine!" situation?

AFIAK, the current plan is for beta sometime around the end of summer,
which means release sometime near the end of the year. That's just a big
guess today, though, it can be both sooner and much lataer depending on
how things turn out. I would definitly not recommend basing a project
schedule on it.

//Magnus