Обсуждение: solaris install - 8.0.3 config fails on openssl, 7.4 config works

solaris install - 8.0.3 config fails on openssl, 7.4 config works

От
"Roth, Gabrielle"
Дата:
Building a new server here (solaris 9), was going to put 8.0.3 on it.

./configure --with-openssl --enable-syslog

fails with this error message:
configure: error: header file <openssl/ssl.h> is required for OpenSSL

config.log has this:
configure:9227: checking openssl/ssl.h usability
configure:9236: gcc -c -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
-Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing   conftest.c >&5
configure:9264:25: openssl/ssl.h: No such file or directory
configure:9254: result: no
configure:9258: checking openssl/ssl.h presence
configure:9265: gcc -E   conftest.c
configure:9261:25: openssl/ssl.h: No such file or directory
configure:9271: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 9260 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <openssl/ssl.h>
configure:9289: result: no
configure:9307: checking for openssl/ssl.h
configure:9314: result: no
configure:9321: error: header file <openssl/ssl.h> is required for
OpenSSL

- I've verified that the path to ssl.h is in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
- I have openssl-0.97f, which is a later version than the 0.96 specified
in the FAQ (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_Solaris.html)
- I get the same error with 8.0.4
- I got fed up with troubleshooting it (it was a long day...) & tried
7.4 - configured with the same command and installed without a hitch.

Ideas?

- gabrielle -

Re: solaris install - 8.0.3 config fails on openssl, 7.4 config works

Дата:
"Roth, Gabrielle" <gabrielle.roth@xo.com> writes:
> Building a new server here (solaris 9), was going to put 8.0.3 on it.
> ./configure --with-openssl --enable-syslog
> fails with this error message:
> configure: error: header file <openssl/ssl.h> is required for OpenSSL

> - I've verified that the path to ssl.h is in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

That's irrelevant for header files.  If the header's full path isn't
/usr/include/openssl/ssl.h (or possibly /usr/local/include/openssl/ssl.h
if you are using gcc --- most gcc installations are configured to
automatically look in /usr/local too) then you need a --with-includes
configure switch to point the compiler to where it can find the openssl
header directory.  Very likely you will also need a --with-libs switch
to point to the libraries; LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't excuse you from doing
that either, at least on most platforms.

            regards, tom lane

Re: solaris install - 8.0.3 config fails on openssl, 7.4 config works

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 01:45:41PM -0600, Roth, Gabrielle wrote:
> Building a new server here (solaris 9), was going to put 8.0.3 on it.
>
> ./configure --with-openssl --enable-syslog
>
> fails with this error message:
> configure: error: header file <openssl/ssl.h> is required for OpenSSL

[snip]

> - I've verified that the path to ssl.h is in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH, aside from being something to avoid using in any
case, has nothing to do with where the preprocessor finds header
files.  Try using --with-includes and --with-libraries; see the
documentation for more information:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/install-procedure.html

Another way is to set the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS environment variables.

> - I have openssl-0.97f, which is a later version than the 0.96 specified
> in the FAQ (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_Solaris.html)

I've built PostgreSQL 7.2 through 8.1beta with OpenSSL 0.9.7 and 0.9.8
on Solaris 9 without problems, so the OpenSSL version shouldn't matter.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: solaris install - 8.0.3 config fails on openssl, 7.4 config works

От
"Roth, Gabrielle"
Дата:
(Is keeping the traffic on the list the accepted protocol here? Or do we
cc an ever-increasing # of respondents?)

This solution worked (setting the CPPFLAGS).

The strange thing to me is that I didn't have to do anything extra for
the 7.4 install, it "just worked."  Is that something I should be
concerned about or no?

Thanks!  Upgrading this was so quick once I got this worked out.  I love
it.

gabrielle

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include" export CPPFLAGS

You have to set the CPPFLAGS to whatever your ssl/include path is.

MM

I wrote:
[...]

Дата:
"Roth, Gabrielle" <gabrielle.roth@xo.com> writes:
> The strange thing to me is that I didn't have to do anything extra for
> the 7.4 install, it "just worked."

7.4 and earlier configure scripts used to have a special case to
automatically handle the situation where openssl is under /usr/local/ssl.
We don't anymore; you have to say so if it's in any nonstandard location.
I'm not sure what the rationale was for that change, but it was
intentional...

            regards, tom lane

Re: solaris install - 8.0.3 config fails on openssl, 7.4 config works

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 07:50:48PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> 7.4 and earlier configure scripts used to have a special case to
> automatically handle the situation where openssl is under /usr/local/ssl.
> We don't anymore; you have to say so if it's in any nonstandard location.
> I'm not sure what the rationale was for that change, but it was
> intentional...

These look like the rationale and commit messages:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-11/msg01297.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2003-11/msg00278.php

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: solaris install - 8.0.3 config fails on openssl, 7.4 config works

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 16:31:45 -0600,
  "Roth, Gabrielle" <gabrielle.roth@xo.com> wrote:
> (Is keeping the traffic on the list the accepted protocol here? Or do we
> cc an ever-increasing # of respondents?)

ccing (unless mail-followup-to says otherwise) is normal. At times the mailing
lists can be slow and direct copies can get through faster which can be
helpful with back and forth discussions.

Also you can post to the lists without being subscribed (though there will be
a delay for moderator approval).