Обсуждение: Suse 9.2 stops booting while starting the postgres-server

Suse 9.2 stops booting while starting the postgres-server

От
Дата:
Hello to everyone,

I'm new to postgres. I Have installed a new SuSE 9.2 on a pc. I also
installed the Postgres which was on the suse-cd's. psql --version says:
7.4.7
PG_VERSION in /var/lib/psql/data says: 7.4
Here is an extract from my pg_hba.conf:

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        IP-ADDRESS        IP-MASK
METHOD

#local   all         all
trust
# IPv4-style local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255
trust
# IPv6-style local connections:
host    all         all         ::1
ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff        trust
#local    all         all
ident sameuser
local    all         all
trust
~
~
pg_hba.conf lines 44-64/64 (END)

With this configuration my server starts without problems in runlevel 5.
If i change the last line to:
local    all         all
password

the server stops booting while writing "Starting postgres" to the
console.
Although the pc stops booting, the Databse Server starts, i can connect
the pc via ssh, and open a psql-session.
Also /var/log/postgresql says, the databse is ready.
Nevertheless, the pc stops booting on the point "postgres is starting",
and does not continue.

For me this is very strange.
Does anyone has an idea ?
I think, a script or a service tries to connenct to database, but does
not know the password. So it does not continue to boot.

Thanks for your help.

Bernd

Re: Suse 9.2 stops booting while starting the postgres-server

От
Enrico Weigelt
Дата:
* bernd.lentes@gsf.de <bernd.lentes@gsf.de> wrote:

> the server stops booting while writing "Starting postgres" to the
> console.
> Although the pc stops booting, the Databse Server starts, i can connect
> the pc via ssh, and open a psql-session.
> Also /var/log/postgresql says, the databse is ready.
> Nevertheless, the pc stops booting on the point "postgres is starting",
> and does not continue.

SuSE's quite proven in writing crooked bootscripts.

Your problem is long known: (why still unfixed ?)
The bootscript tries to log into the database, which now requires a
password in your configuration. Of course psql is prompting for it,
but you problably dont see it.

You'll have to rewrite the pgsql boot script.

Maybe you'd like to move away from GNU/Windows .. ;-P

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service
  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  Realtime Forex/Stock Exchange trading powered by postgresSQL :))
                                            http://www.fxignal.net/

Re: Suse 9.2 stops booting while starting the postgres-server

От
"Lentes, Bernd"

Hello ,

I have found the error.
I looked on an older SuSE-Version ( i think 9.1) where we also have a
postgres running. There the postgres-process is started with:
pg_ctl start -s -p $H -l $LOGFILE -D $DATADIR -o "\"$OPTIONS\"". On this
system the server is starting without problems.

On my new installation (9.2), the server is started with: pg_ctl start
-s -w -p $H -l $LOGFILE -D $DATADIR -o "\"$OPTIONS\""

The parameter -w "waits until operation completes". I don't know for
what exactly he is waiting (maybe better weather), but i deleted the
parameter, and now everything is working fine.

Bernd Lentes

Re: Suse 9.2 stops booting while starting the postgres-server

От
Enrico Weigelt
Дата:
* Lentes, Bernd <bernd.lentes@gsf.de> wrote:

Hi,

> The parameter -w "waits until operation completes". I don't know for
> what exactly he is waiting (maybe better weather), but i deleted the
> parameter, and now everything is working fine.

the postmaster now comes up properly ?