Обсуждение: Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines

Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines

От
Adile Abbadi
Дата:
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked before - it probably has been - but I figure its probably just easier if I ask so my question is this:

How easy is it - or rather is it possible to create multiple instances of the same db on multiple machines?

We are currently running a very highly used postgres db (Ver 7.2) that eats up a lot of cpu time when its heavily used. We recently bought some very powerful equipment to accommodate this high use, (currently its on a single CPU, 1GB of Ram SCSI server - upgraded to a dual CPU, 4GB of ram SCSI server) but my fear is over time this issue is going to haunt me again and hardware can only be upgraded so much.

So is it possible to do some level of load balancing in postgres - I would love a situation where I could have multiple machines running multiple instances of the same db (that are all synced in real-time), where there is some smart level of load balancing happening.

So if it is possible is there some instruction info out there to help me along my way. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

All the best

Adile

Re: Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Adile Abbadi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if this has been asked before - it probably has been - but I figure
> its probably just easier if I ask so my question is this:
>
> How easy is it - or rather is it possible to create multiple instances of
> the same db on multiple machines?
>
> We are currently running a very highly used postgres db (Ver 7.2) that eats
> up a lot of cpu time when its heavily used. We recently bought some very
> powerful equipment to accommodate this high use, (currently its on a single
> CPU, 1GB of Ram SCSI server - upgraded to a dual CPU, 4GB of ram SCSI
> server) but my fear is over time this issue is going to haunt me again and
> hardware can only be upgraded so much.

Well you have a very long way to go before you get to that "too much" stage.

Within your current platform it should be possible to upgrade to 8GB of
ram and you can almost always add more hard drives.

> So is it possible to do some level of load balancing in postgres - I would
> love a situation where I could have multiple machines running multiple
> instances of the same db (that are all synced in real-time), where there is
> some smart level of load balancing happening.

You may want to look at pgpool, slony or Mammoth Replicator.

> So if it is possible is there some instruction info out there to help me
> along my way. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> All the best
>
> Adile
>
> ---

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines

От
Darcy Buskermolen
Дата:
On November 29, 2004 11:30 am, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Adile Abbadi wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Not sure if this has been asked before - it probably has been - but I
> > figure its probably just easier if I ask so my question is this:
> >
> > How easy is it - or rather is it possible to create multiple instances of
> > the same db on multiple machines?
> >
> > We are currently running a very highly used postgres db (Ver 7.2) that
> > eats up a lot of cpu time when its heavily used. We recently bought some
> > very powerful equipment to accommodate this high use, (currently its on a
> > single CPU, 1GB of Ram SCSI server - upgraded to a dual CPU, 4GB of ram
> > SCSI server) but my fear is over time this issue is going to haunt me
> > again and hardware can only be upgraded so much.
>
> Well you have a very long way to go before you get to that "too much"
> stage.
>
> Within your current platform it should be possible to upgrade to 8GB of
> ram and you can almost always add more hard drives.
>
> > So is it possible to do some level of load balancing in postgres - I
> > would love a situation where I could have multiple machines running
> > multiple instances of the same db (that are all synced in real-time),
> > where there is some smart level of load balancing happening.
>
> You may want to look at pgpool, slony or Mammoth Replicator.
>
> > So if it is possible is there some instruction info out there to help me
> > along my way. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

You may also want to look at upgrading to PostgreSQL 7.4.6 or 8.0 since they
both go a long way to improve performance, which might mittage your CPU bound
problem as it is now.

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

> > All the best
> >
> > Adile
> >
> > ---

Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.
ph: 250.717.0200
fx:  250.763.1759
http://www.wavefire.com

Re: Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines

От
"Iain"
Дата:
Hi,

I have been considering this in my spare time for a little while too.

Joshua already mentioned slony and pgpool, and you may want to look at
heartbeat too, though I don't know if it is strictly neccessary in a
slony/pgpoos installation. My focus is more on replication for high
availability and failover than performance.

Replication will involve some overhead so to offset that your application
must be set up to take good advantage of the load balancing possibilities.
There is no guarantee that your application will perform faster even if you
do implement replication.

As such, I don't know of any viable true _synchronous_ replication system
for postgres, the options listed above seem best suited for async
replication (using slony) and load balancing of SELECTs (not UPDATE INSERT
DELETE) using pg pool. If your application has a very heavy SELECT component
from browsing users (perhaps from a web application) then you may be able to
have a large portion of your SELECT SQL diverted to the slave database,
freeing the master to handle all updating of data.

Whether this will help you or not, I don't know. Analyse the options and
your requirements and test it. If you come up with any good information, I'd
be very intertested to hear it.

I posted a summary of options as I understood them in the admin section. If
your search on availabilty and  failover you should find it.

Regards
Iain

[...]

Дата:
Adile Abbadi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if this has been asked before - it probably has been - but I
> figure its probably just easier if I ask so my question is this:
>
> How easy is it - or rather is it possible to create multiple instances
> of the same db on multiple machines?
>
> We are currently running a very highly used postgres db (Ver 7.2) that
> eats up a lot of cpu time when its heavily used. We recently bought
> some very powerful equipment to accommodate this high use, (currently
> its on a single CPU, 1GB of Ram SCSI server - upgraded to a dual CPU,
> 4GB of ram SCSI server) but my fear is over time this issue is going
> to haunt me again and hardware can only be upgraded so much.
>
> So is it possible to do some level of load balancing in postgres - I
> would love a situation where I could have multiple machines running
> multiple instances of the same db (that are all synced in real-time),
> where there is some smart level of load balancing happening.
>
> So if it is possible is there some instruction info out there to help
> me along my way. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
>
> All the best
>
> Adile

Hello,

I read an interesting paper on this a while ago, you can find it here:
http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/pub/papers/cnds-2003-3.pdf

It's called "On the Performance of Consistent Wide-Area Database
Replication", and presents an analysis of a Postgres-based replication
system.

Unfortunately, the implementation wasn't made available, but the ideas
may be worth investigating for someone with more free time than myself.

-Mark.

Re: Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Slony: www.slony.info
Mammoth Replicator: www.commandprompt.com
PgPool: http://www2b.biglobe.ne.jp/~caco/pgpool/index-e.html

> Cheers
>
> Adile

Дата:
> So what you are saying is that pg pool is used for load balancing and
> slony
> is used for replication?

Yes, as I understand it.

> I do have the option programmatically in my code to
> distribute the load on the DB as you had mentioned (for example the SELECT
> issue you mentioned), so if I was to go down that road would sloany be the
> best way to go, or do I still need to use pgpool. Also how easy is sloany
> setup?

It sounds like the slony/pg pool combination might be worth considering.

I havn't had a chance to play with slony yet, so I can't say.too much about
whether it is easy to setup or not. From what I have seen, it looks
reasonably easy considering what it it is trying to achieve.

I might have a chance to test some of this out for myself in the new year,
but that's not decided yet.

Regards
Iain

> Cheers
>
> Adile

Дата:
Thanx a ton - I will look into it when I get a moment.

Cheers

Adile

> Not sure if this has been asked before - it probably has been - but I
> figure its probably just easier if I ask so my question is this:
>
> How easy is it - or rather is it possible to create multiple instances
> of the same db on multiple machines?
>
> We are currently running a very highly used postgres db (Ver 7.2) that
> eats up a lot of cpu time when its heavily used. We recently bought
> some very powerful equipment to accommodate this high use, (currently
> its on a single CPU, 1GB of Ram SCSI server - upgraded to a dual CPU,
> 4GB of ram SCSI server) but my fear is over time this issue is going
> to haunt me again and hardware can only be upgraded so much.
>
> So is it possible to do some level of load balancing in postgres - I
> would love a situation where I could have multiple machines running
> multiple instances of the same db (that are all synced in real-time),
> where there is some smart level of load balancing happening.
>
> So if it is possible is there some instruction info out there to help
> me along my way. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
>
> All the best
>
> Adile

Hello,

I read an interesting paper on this a while ago, you can find it here:
http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/pub/papers/cnds-2003-3.pdf

It's called "On the Performance of Consistent Wide-Area Database
Replication", and presents an analysis of a Postgres-based replication
system.

Unfortunately, the implementation wasn't made available, but the ideas
may be worth investigating for someone with more free time than myself.

-Mark.
---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Re: Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines

От
Adile Abbadi
Дата:
Hi Iain,

So what you are saying is that pg pool is used for load balancing and slony
is used for replication? I do have the option programmatically in my code to
distribute the load on the DB as you had mentioned (for example the SELECT
issue you mentioned), so if I was to go down that road would sloany be the
best way to go, or do I still need to use pgpool. Also how easy is sloany to
setup?

Cheers

Adile

> Not sure if this has been asked before - it probably has been - but I
figure
> its probably just easier if I ask so my question is this:
>
> How easy is it - or rather is it possible to create multiple instances of
> the same db on multiple machines?
>
> We are currently running a very highly used postgres db (Ver 7.2) that
eats
> up a lot of cpu time when its heavily used. We recently bought some very
> powerful equipment to accommodate this high use, (currently its on a
single
> CPU, 1GB of Ram SCSI server - upgraded to a dual CPU, 4GB of ram SCSI
> server) but my fear is over time this issue is going to haunt me again and
> hardware can only be upgraded so much.

Well you have a very long way to go before you get to that "too much" stage.

Within your current platform it should be possible to upgrade to 8GB of
ram and you can almost always add more hard drives.

> So is it possible to do some level of load balancing in postgres - I would
> love a situation where I could have multiple machines running multiple
> instances of the same db (that are all synced in real-time), where there
is
> some smart level of load balancing happening.

You may want to look at pgpool, slony or Mammoth Replicator.

> So if it is possible is there some instruction info out there to help me
> along my way. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> All the best
>
> Adile
>
> ---

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Re: Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 04:06:50PM -0800, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

> You may also want to look at upgrading to PostgreSQL 7.4.6 or 8.0 since they
> both go a long way to improve performance, which might mittage your CPU bound
> problem as it is now.

What Darcy said.  We had an immense speed improvement by moving from
7.2.x to 7.4.x -- so much so that my QA guys didn't believe their
tests the first time, and ran them all again.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.
        --Bruce Schneier