Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines

От Adile Abbadi
Тема Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines
Дата
Re: Load Balancing/Multiple Postgres Machines
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked before - it probably has been - but I figure its probably just easier if I ask so my question is this:

How easy is it - or rather is it possible to create multiple instances of the same db on multiple machines?

We are currently running a very highly used postgres db (Ver 7.2) that eats up a lot of cpu time when its heavily used. We recently bought some very powerful equipment to accommodate this high use, (currently its on a single CPU, 1GB of Ram SCSI server - upgraded to a dual CPU, 4GB of ram SCSI server) but my fear is over time this issue is going to haunt me again and hardware can only be upgraded so much.

So is it possible to do some level of load balancing in postgres - I would love a situation where I could have multiple machines running multiple instances of the same db (that are all synced in real-time), where there is some smart level of load balancing happening.

So if it is possible is there some instruction info out there to help me along my way. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

All the best

Adile