Обсуждение: ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3

ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3

От
Gautam Saha
Hi:

Is there a ER diagram tool someone can recommend for PostgreSQL?
I should be able to create ER diagram from existing database also
(reverse engineering).
Any open source product would be ideal.

Thanks,

Gautam

Re: ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3

От
"Kent L. Nasveschuk"
Дата:
Gautam,

This is not specifically for diagramming ERD's but I have used
OpenOffice Draw for entity relationship diagrams. You can't generate SQL
from it but it works great for all my diagramming needs. OO is open
source also. In the past I used M$ Visio but I'll pass on that for
philosophical reasons.

If you need a sample I'd be glad to send you a .jpg or .gif image.

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 16:58, Gautam Saha wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is there a ER diagram tool someone can recommend for PostgreSQL?
> I should be able to create ER diagram from existing database also
> (reverse engineering).
> Any open source product would be ideal.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gautam

Kent
nasve525@regis.edu
kent@wareham.k12.ma.us
W 508 291-3510 X122
C 508 317-2755

Tips:---------------------------------------------->
"OpenOffice.org ... Stops Word macro viruses DEAD!"
"Postgresql.org ... Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster"
"Technology is legislation - C. Einfeldt on OO.o discuss list"

Re: ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3

От
Reece Hart
Дата:
Is there a ER diagram tool someone can recommend for PostgreSQL?
I should be able to create ER diagram from existing database also
(reverse engineering).
Any open source product would be ideal.

I'd like an open source product too, but haven't seen any. I have used Data Architect (http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/) and Case Studio 2 (http://www.casestudio.com/enu/products.aspx).

DA is a very reasonably priced, closed-source, Qt/KDE app. I found it a little daunting to configure and get working with unixODBC on linux many months ago, but eventually I did and it's probably better these days. There were a few annoyance bugs related to printing crashes and spacing, as I recall, but eventually I found work arounds for those too.

CS2 worked fairly well, but I remember having some problem with it not being able to reverse engineer a few tables because of column type problems. I don't remember the details, but I did report it. I ran it under VMWare (linux host, win2k guest), so I can tell you that works too.

-Reece

--
Reece Hart, http://www.in-machina.com/~reece/, GPG:0x25EC91A0 0xD178AAF9

Re: ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3

От
"David F. Skoll"
Дата:
> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 16:58, Gautam Saha wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is there a ER diagram tool someone can recommend for PostgreSQL?

DIA isn't too bad:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/

This goes from DIA to PostgreSQL:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/dia2postgres/?topic_id=66%2C259%2C916

And this goes in the other direction:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/postgresql_autodoc/?topic_id=66

--
David.

Re: ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3

От
Oli Sennhauser
Дата:
Hello

They (architects) told me ER is out, UML is in. And they told me also,
that something like ER can be done in UML. I think there are some
FOSS-Tools for UML (v1.0 or v.2.0)?

Regards Oli

Oli Sennhauser
Database-Engineer (Oracle & PostgreSQL)
Rebenweg 6
CH - 8610 Uster / Switzerland

Phone (+41) 1 940 24 82 or Mobile (+41) 79 450 49 14
e-Mail oli.sennhauser@bluewin.ch
Website http://mypage.bluewin.ch/shinguz/PostgreSQL/

Secure (signed/encrypted) e-Mail with a Free Personal SwissSign ID: http://www.swisssign.ch

Import the SwissSign Root Certificate: http://swisssign.net/cgi-bin/trust/import

Вложения

Re: ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3

От
kevin07@optonline.net (kbd)
Дата:
gsaha@imsa.edu (Gautam Saha) wrote in message news:<3FB00A07.3030902@imsa.edu>...
> Hi:
>
> Is there a ER diagram tool someone can recommend for PostgreSQL?
> I should be able to create ER diagram from existing database also
> (reverse engineering).
> Any open source product would be ideal.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gautam

I just spent a couple of days on this exact topic.
My requirements were reasonablely priced (read cheap)
creat and reverse postgres databases.

this is what I found without spending alot of money.

Data Architect  -  theKompany  $39
DDS-Lite   - Chilli Source $299
DeZign for databases  - datanamic $229
Enterprise Architect - Sparx Systems $135
Case Studio -  Charonware    $329

I down loaded a couple of the demos and installed them on a Win 2000 box.
You should do the same.

good luck.

kd

Re: ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3

От
Mauri Sahlberg
Дата:
ti, 2003-11-11 kello 05:08, David F. Skoll kirjoitti:
> > On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 16:58, Gautam Saha wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > Is there a ER diagram tool someone can recommend for PostgreSQL?
>
> DIA isn't too bad:
>
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/
>
> This goes from DIA to PostgreSQL:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/dia2postgres/?topic_id=66%2C259%2C916

I think tedia2sql is the best of the breed for dia 2 sql transformations
you can find it from:
http://tedia2sql.tigris.org/

I've used over a year now and I could no longer do without it.

> And this goes in the other direction:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/postgresql_autodoc/?topic_id=66

Postgresql_autodoc is a nice try, I apologize if it has taken a huge
leap since I last took a peek at it but imho it is(was) unusable for
anything more than a few tables when doing diagrams. But it has been
really good for getting html-table-presentations for relations.

I've also looked The Kompanys DA and found it lacking diagrams when
reverse engineering a database but a lot better than anything else I've
tried for postgres on that purpose.

My solution is to keep the diagrams updated so that I don't need reverse
engineering. ;)

Mauri Sahlberg <Mauri.Sahlberg@claymountain.com>
Claymountain Solutions Oy

Re: ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3

От
Oli Sennhauser
Дата:
Hello Gautam

I was reading something about Eclipse and the Plugin "Clay Datamodel".
What about this. I was just downloading (70MB) it. Installation is very
easy. But is a little late now an cannot concentrate anymore...