Обсуждение: postgreSQL users = LDAP users?

postgreSQL users = LDAP users?

От
"Daniel Seichter"
Дата:
Hello,
is it possible, to create all users of the databaseserver through LDAP?
An schema extension is maybe required, but is it possible, yes or no?!
If yes, where to find more information?

Thank you
Daniel Seichter
--
postgreSQL on Netware - the red elephant
http://postgresql.dseichter.org

Re: postgreSQL users = LDAP users?

От
Hans Spaans
Дата:
On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 07:44:50PM +0200, Daniel Seichter wrote:
> Hello,
> is it possible, to create all users of the databaseserver through LDAP?
> An schema extension is maybe required, but is it possible, yes or no?!
> If yes, where to find more information?

We have pg using pam and pam uses ldap. It's just all standard
pam/ldap stuff so it shouldn't be any problem. And there are plenty
manuals about pam and ldap.

--
Hans

Re: postgreSQL users = LDAP users?

От
Peter Childs
Дата:
On Monday 30 June 2003 23:39, Hans Spaans wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 07:44:50PM +0200, Daniel Seichter wrote:
> > Hello,
> > is it possible, to create all users of the databaseserver through LDAP?
> > An schema extension is maybe required, but is it possible, yes or no?!
> > If yes, where to find more information?
>
> We have pg using pam and pam uses ldap. It's just all standard
> pam/ldap stuff so it shouldn't be any problem. And there are plenty
> manuals about pam and ldap.

    In that case can somone surgest some good documentation on ldap and pam. As
I've been try to set it up for months unsucsessfully.....
    All the web sites I've seen are a little uncomprohensable.
    Sorry this is a little off topic.

Peter Childs

Re: postgreSQL users = LDAP users?

От
Gémes Géza
Дата:
Peter Childs írta:
is it possible, to create all users of the databaseserver through LDAP?
An schema extension is maybe required, but is it possible, yes or no?!
If yes, where to find more information?
We have pg using pam and pam uses ldap. It's just all standard
pam/ldap stuff so it shouldn't be any problem. And there are plenty
manuals about pam and ldap.
In that case can somone surgest some good documentation on ldap and pam. As
I've been try to set it up for months unsucsessfully.....All the web sites I've seen are a little uncomprohensable. Sorry this is a little off topic.

Peter Childs

              http://archives.postgresql.org
Look at this
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/samba-ldap-advanced.php
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/ldap-auth2.php
if you only want to sync users, and not any information regarding them. If you would want more then:
You'll have to use the ODBC based sql backend for ldap (VERY SLOW :-( ), and connect using postgres, or whatever your database superuser is. You will need to create some tables and views, tables containing ldap specific things, see: http://www.samse.fr/GPL/ldap_pg/HOWTO/
and views which unify the former with pg_shadow information.

I wish you the best luck in succeeding this ;-) !

Best Regards

Geza Gemes

Вложения

Max file size

От
mauricio
Дата:
Hi,
I'm evaluating some DB and one of the things i'd like to know is the
maximum size of a file that postgres can handle with. cause i'm planning
to have a centalized database the must have some billion records.

Thx

--
Mauricio da Silva Miranda
-

Re: Max file size

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, mauricio wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm evaluating some DB and one of the things i'd like to know is the
> maximum size of a file that postgres can handle with. cause i'm planning
> to have a centalized database the must have some billion records.

In it's default configuration Postgresql autosplits table at approximately
1 gigabyte.  Therefore, it has no built in limit to table size.

If you have an OS that can handle larger files, you can compile postgresql
to use larger file sizes.  I have seen no great improvement in speed in
using one large file for a table over splitting at 1Gig.

Re: Max file size

От
Greg Spiegelberg
Дата:
scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, mauricio wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I'm evaluating some DB and one of the things i'd like to know is the
>>maximum size of a file that postgres can handle with. cause i'm planning
>>to have a centalized database the must have some billion records.
>

> In it's default configuration Postgresql autosplits table at approximately
> 1 gigabyte.  Therefore, it has no built in limit to table size.
>
> If you have an OS that can handle larger files, you can compile postgresql
> to use larger file sizes.  I have seen no great improvement in speed in
> using one large file for a table over splitting at 1Gig.

Hrm.  This all ought to be dependent on record size and operating
system limits on the number of file descriptors, shouldn't it?

Greg

--
Greg Spiegelberg
  Sr. Product Development Engineer

Re: Max file size

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Greg Spiegelberg wrote:

> scott.marlowe wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, mauricio wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>I'm evaluating some DB and one of the things i'd like to know is the
> >>maximum size of a file that postgres can handle with. cause i'm planning
> >>to have a centalized database the must have some billion records.
> >

> > In it's default configuration Postgresql autosplits table at approximately
> > 1 gigabyte.  Therefore, it has no built in limit to table size.
> >
> > If you have an OS that can handle larger files, you can compile postgresql
> > to use larger file sizes.  I have seen no great improvement in speed in
> > using one large file for a table over splitting at 1Gig.
>
> Hrm.  This all ought to be dependent on record size and operating
> system limits on the number of file descriptors, shouldn't it?

not sure what you mean.  The number of file descriptors isn't usually a
big issue unless you've got a default installation of an older OS, the
number of file descriptors won't likely be an issue unless you need to
startup a lot of backends.

Re: postgreSQL users = LDAP users?

От
"Daniel Seichter"
Дата:
Hello,
thank you for you links, I will take a look to it.

Daniel
--
postgreSQL on Netware - the red elephant
http://postgresql.dseichter.org

-- you wrote ---