Обсуждение: Error starting backend

Error starting backend

От
"jason"
Дата:
I had a hard drive die on me.  In rebuilding my system, I found out that my
backup process wasn't working correctly, so I don't have any dumps that I can
just load into the new setup.  I was able, however, to save the data directory
from the old drive.  If I try to start the backend up with that data dir,
though, I get this error:

PANIC:  The database cluster was initialized with LC_COLLATE 'en_US.UTF-8',
        which is not recognized by setlocale().
        It looks like you need to initdb.

Any idea how I can get around that?  Thanks a lot!

jason

Re: Error starting backend

От
Jason Lee
Дата:
Any thoughts on this?  I'm at a loss on what to try next.  I appreciate any help
anyone can give. :P

Thanks a lot!

jason wrote:

> I had a hard drive die on me.  In rebuilding my system, I found out that my
> backup process wasn't working correctly, so I don't have any dumps that I can
> just load into the new setup.  I was able, however, to save the data directory
> from the old drive.  If I try to start the backend up with that data dir,
> though, I get this error:
>
> PANIC:  The database cluster was initialized with LC_COLLATE 'en_US.UTF-8',
>         which is not recognized by setlocale().
>         It looks like you need to initdb.
>
> Any idea how I can get around that?  Thanks a lot!
>
> jason

jason lee
His grace for my shame / His death for my blame / His stripes for my pain
And the pieces fit / His joy for my grief / His hurt my relief
My doubt His belief / And the pieces fit -- Considering Lily

Re: Error starting backend

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Hmm... I'm thinking you either have a version mismatch or perhaps
there's an issue with your recovery process. can you initidb a new
location with the proper local settings, then copy over the data dir to
that new location?  If that doesn't work, post the steps you took to
restore.

Robert Treat

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 10:48, Jason Lee wrote:
> Any thoughts on this?  I'm at a loss on what to try next.  I appreciate any help
> anyone can give. :P
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> jason wrote:
>
> > I had a hard drive die on me.  In rebuilding my system, I found out that my
> > backup process wasn't working correctly, so I don't have any dumps that I can
> > just load into the new setup.  I was able, however, to save the data directory
> > from the old drive.  If I try to start the backend up with that data dir,
> > though, I get this error:
> >
> > PANIC:  The database cluster was initialized with LC_COLLATE 'en_US.UTF-8',
> >         which is not recognized by setlocale().
> >         It looks like you need to initdb.
> >
> > Any idea how I can get around that?  Thanks a lot!
> >
> > jason

> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html
> >

> --
> jason lee
> His grace for my shame / His death for my blame / His stripes for my pain
> And the pieces fit / His joy for my grief / His hurt my relief
> My doubt His belief / And the pieces fit -- Considering Lily

Re: Error starting backend

Дата:
Jason Lee <jason@theleehouse.net> writes:
> Any thoughts on this?

>> PANIC:  The database cluster was initialized with LC_COLLATE 'en_US.UTF-8',
>> which is not recognized by setlocale().

Looks to me like you are missing a locale file.  Maybe you omitted
installing some locale packages on your new system?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Error starting backend

От
Jason Lee
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:

> Hmm... I'm thinking you either have a version mismatch or perhaps
> there's an issue with your recovery process. can you initidb a new
> location with the proper local settings, then copy over the data dir to
> that new location?  If that doesn't work, post the steps you took to
> restore.

You might have been right about the version problem.  I built an older version
(7.3) and started the server with that data dir and it worked fine.  Since there
shouldn't be the need to dump and restore with any 7.3.x version, I'm not sure
that was the deal.  The data base came off a Red Hat 9 box, and I was trying to
restore to a Gentoo box.  Once I copied the data dir to a Red Hat 9 box (and
installed 7.3) everything worked.  <shrug>

Thank you Robert and Tom for taking time to help me. :)