Обсуждение: Replication

Replication

От
Enrico Ortmann
Дата:
Hi folks,

Does anyone know a solution for replicating a PG7.2 Database. We'd prefer a bidirectional replication but it doesn't
haveto be that way. A simple one-way-rep would match our basic interests as well. The documentation of the eRServer on
postgres.comdoes not give very much detailed information about f.e. the integrated features - or I didn't find them.

Actually it would be nice to get an open source solution because of the very nice licence model. But our main focus is
setto a _stable_ and _performant_ solution. At first we want to replicate from one Master to one slave, but in the near
futureit seems that the environment would extend to about five slaves.

Thanks for answering!
Ab heute wird nichts mehr vergessen! Mit dem Organizer von
WEB.DE FreeMail. http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021145

Re: Replication

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 11:38:25AM +0100, Enrico Ortmann wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone know a solution for replicating a PG7.2 Database. We'd
> prefer a bidirectional replication but it doesn't have to be that
> way. A simple one-way-rep would match our basic interests as well.
> The documentation of the eRServer on postgres.com does not give
> very much detailed information about f.e. the integrated features -
> or I didn't find them.

There's not much in the way of integrated features.  More or less,
you get (possibly more than one) slave replicated from one master.
The model is async., so there is a gap between the transaction on the
master and it committing on the slave.  It's a _small_ gap, but it is
there.

> the very nice licence model. But our main focus is set to a
> _stable_ and _performant_ solution. At first we want to replicate
> from one Master to one slave, but in the near future it seems that
> the environment would extend to about five slaves.

We are currently using eRServer for the .info registry, and starting
next week it will also underpin the .org registry.  Dunno if that's
good enough performance for you.  It works for us.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Replication

От
"Gaetano Mendola"
Дата:
"Andrew Sullivan" <andrew@libertyrms.info> wrote in message

> We are currently using eRServer for the .info registry, and starting
> next week it will also underpin the .org registry.  Dunno if that's
> good enough performance for you.  It works for us.

the eRServer is for free or not ?

Ciao
Gaetano

Re: Replication

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 07:38:29PM +0100, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> the eRServer is for free or not ?

"Not", as far as I know.  Its baby cousin is in contrib/rserv in the
source tree.  I haven't tested it with 7.3, so I don't know whether
it works.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Replication

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 07:38:29PM +0100, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> >
> > the eRServer is for free or not ?
>
> "Not", as far as I know.  Its baby cousin is in contrib/rserv in the
> source tree.  I haven't tested it with 7.3, so I don't know whether
> it works.

Don't ... from everything we have heard, there are a half-dozen companies
out there that have taken the time to figure out and get it to work, but
nobody has bothered to submit patches back to the project to make it
easier/more useful for others ...

eRServer is to rserv what running Unix on a PIII is to running it on a 386
... for v7.4, we are most likely going to move rserv over to gborg ...

Re: Replication

Дата:
I would give /contrib/dbmirror a try.

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 07:38:29PM +0100, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> > >
> > > the eRServer is for free or not ?
> >
> > "Not", as far as I know.  Its baby cousin is in contrib/rserv in the
> > source tree.  I haven't tested it with 7.3, so I don't know whether
> > it works.
>
> Don't ... from everything we have heard, there are a half-dozen companies
> out there that have taken the time to figure out and get it to work, but
> nobody has bothered to submit patches back to the project to make it
> easier/more useful for others ...
>
> eRServer is to rserv what running Unix on a PIII is to running it on a 386
> ... for v7.4, we are most likely going to move rserv over to gborg ...

Re: Replication

От
Will LaShell
Дата:
On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 21:10, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 07:38:29PM +0100, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> > >
> > > the eRServer is for free or not ?
> >
> > "Not", as far as I know.  Its baby cousin is in contrib/rserv in the
> > source tree.  I haven't tested it with 7.3, so I don't know whether
> > it works.
>
> Don't ... from everything we have heard, there are a half-dozen companies
> out there that have taken the time to figure out and get it to work, but
> nobody has bothered to submit patches back to the project to make it
> easier/more useful for others ...
>
> eRServer is to rserv what running Unix on a PIII is to running it on a 386
> ... for v7.4, we are most likely going to move rserv over to gborg ...

Hrmm,  this is kind of sad. rserv actually does work pretty well. We use
it in a production environment here at OFS on a medium size database
cluster.

The biggest issue we had was when we created replication id's to use was
that we used bigint field type for the id. Which as we all know suck
rocks to use in postgres. Once we specifically cast the field to let it
use the index the whole thing just magically worked nice and fast. Note
that it did work before it just worked a whole lot slower.

What problems have been reported with 7.3? Additionally, aren't the
eRserver maintainers in theory releasing updates to rserv every year or
so? ( At least that's what has been said in the past. )

What problems have people been having getting rserv to work at all?

Will LaShell

Вложения

Re: Replication

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Will LaShell wrote:

> Hrmm, this is kind of sad. rserv actually does work pretty well. We use
> it in a production environment here at OFS on a medium size database
> cluster.

I think you are the first person taht I've seen that has admit'd to using
it ... other then a few 'build related' issues, I've never seen anyone do
anything with it ...

> The biggest issue we had was when we created replication id's to use was
> that we used bigint field type for the id. Which as we all know suck
> rocks to use in postgres. Once we specifically cast the field to let it
> use the index the whole thing just magically worked nice and fast. Note
> that it did work before it just worked a whole lot slower.
>
> What problems have been reported with 7.3?

The biggest one I've heard: documentation sucks

> Additionally, aren't the eRserver maintainers in theory releasing
> updates to rserv every year or so? ( At least that's what has been said
> in the past. )

Actually, eRServer right now is nowhere near what you are using right now
... over the past few months, its been re-written in Java and is now
multi-slave ... I got my first "live" experience with it this past
weekend (I did alot of work on the new perl scripts for administrative,
but never had time to actually get it live) ... we used PgMarket as a
'test' case for a demo, and setup consisted of:

./ers_setup <args> (sets up master and initial slave)

and a foreach loop based on a psql -l on the database to run:

./ers_addtable <tablename>

The servers were configured so that if you pull'd the plug out of the
master server, everything auto-fail'd over to the slave, so that it was
transparent to anyone hitting the site ... we even had the web servers
themselves in a failover state ...

Re: Replication

От
Fabian Peters
Дата:
Hi folks!

Is anybody using pgReplicator? <http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/>

I've read through the documentation but haven't tried it yet. I'm looking
for a solution that can offer asynchronous, update-anywhere replication.
Conflict resolution is not an issue. It seems that pgReplicator would do
what is needed...

cheers

Fabian

Re: Replication

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 09:59:52AM -0700, Will LaShell wrote:
> What problems have people been having getting rserv to work at all?

In 2001 I tested it for our anticipated load.  It worked for me, but
it was not up to the kind of load that we were anticipating.  It was
reasonable, however, and I was not able to break it; it just wasn't
up to the load I had to plan for.  We also needed multi-salve
replication.  We therefore did some work with PostgreSQL, Inc. to
produce a new, somewhat better version of rserv.  That's what we
still use in our production systems.

So I have not had problems getting rserv to work, but it wasn't
enough for us.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others,
though: the strategy is sound, and if it meets your needs, it'll
probably do fine (assuming it still works with 7.3; when I was
testing, remember, 7.1.x was the released version).  I seem to recall
keeping it busy with several hundred transactions per minute, but
whether that was sustainable I don't know.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Replication

От
Will LaShell
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 12:42, Fabian Peters wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Is anybody using pgReplicator? <http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/>
>
> I've read through the documentation but haven't tried it yet. I'm looking
> for a solution that can offer asynchronous, update-anywhere replication.
> Conflict resolution is not an issue. It seems that pgReplicator would do
> what is needed...

When I looked last it was in a very beta state and noone advised using
it for production work. This may have changed though. Usogres also is
listed as a viable replication option, but it doesn't work at all, and
has even worse documentation.

> cheers
>
> Fabian

Will

Вложения

Re: Replication

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Will LaShell wrote:

> > The biggest one I've heard: documentation sucks
>
> This truely is an issue, the documentation can be painful, however in
> reality there is very little to do with it. Run the master / slave setup
> add the tables,  and run the replicate.  I think perhaps the greatest
> documentation work could be done in terms of setup examples, and more
> explanation of the arguments to the various scripts.

would you be willing to submit such?  we're working on packaging up a
7.2.4 for this week, if all goes well, and this would be nice to throw in
... ?

> This is excellent! Now the real question is when will we see this type
> of functionality released back into the community, or will there be no
> future updates of rserv at all? Or?

Worst case scenario, eRServer v1.2 (what I'm talking about here) will be
released by next Xmas(ish) ... there are some features/enhancements that
we are working on right now that will, for our clients, obsolete eRServer
v1.2, so if all goes well, releasing it to the community will happen
sooner ...

Re: Replication

От
Will LaShell
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 14:12, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 09:59:52AM -0700, Will LaShell wrote:
> > What problems have people been having getting rserv to work at all?
>
> In 2001 I tested it for our anticipated load.  It worked for me, but
> it was not up to the kind of load that we were anticipating.  It was
> reasonable, however, and I was not able to break it; it just wasn't
> up to the load I had to plan for.  We also needed multi-salve
> replication.  We therefore did some work with PostgreSQL, Inc. to
> produce a new, somewhat better version of rserv.  That's what we
> still use in our production systems.
>
> So I have not had problems getting rserv to work, but it wasn't
> enough for us.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others,
> though: the strategy is sound, and if it meets your needs, it'll
> probably do fine (assuming it still works with 7.3; when I was
> testing, remember, 7.1.x was the released version).  I seem to recall
> keeping it busy with several hundred transactions per minute, but
> whether that was sustainable I don't know.

I definitely agree with this analysis.  The biggest thing with getting
rserv to work fast, is using the right replication field id. We elected
to use a bigint, created an index only on it and treat it special. If I
get inspired I could post up some performance metrics if anyone cares to
be interested.

I have looked at eRserv in the past, the problem is the price. It's just
a bit high to convince the people here to use. Hopefully I can get them
to change their minds.

Sincerely,

Will LaShell

Вложения

Re: Replication

От
Will LaShell
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 11:01, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Will LaShell wrote:
>
> > Hrmm, this is kind of sad. rserv actually does work pretty well. We use
> > it in a production environment here at OFS on a medium size database
> > cluster.
>
> I think you are the first person taht I've seen that has admit'd to using
> it ... other then a few 'build related' issues, I've never seen anyone do
> anything with it ...

Odd, for a lot of uses at least up to pg version 7.2 it just works well.