Обсуждение: Automated database backups and authentication

Automated database backups and authentication

От
Darren McClelland
Дата:
Hello,

I would like to backup a set of databases from a cron job. It looks like
pg_dumpall will do the trick. The only problem is that there doesn't seem to
be any way to pass the database password to pg_dumpall in a non interactive
manner. I'd like to use some kind of access control on the databases, but it
would need to be able to function non interactively.

Ideally whatever I do would be able to function across a network, so that one
database server could backup to a second - kind of a poor man's replication.

I haven't found any real answers in any of the archives, or docs. Has anyone
here done something like this or have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Darren McClelland

Re: Automated database backups and authentication

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:14:47AM -0700, Darren McClelland wrote:
> I haven't found any real answers in any of the archives, or docs. Has anyone
> here done something like this or have any thoughts?

If you control and trust both servers, why not use ident
authentication?

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Automated database backups and authentication

От
Darren McClelland
Дата:
Thanks, that's an idea. I'd always been thinking of ident as unreliable, but
if I control the authenticating server then it's something usable. At least I
can force an attacker to get root before they can go after the other machine.
That's about the best anyone can hope for.
Darren

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 11:30, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:14:47AM -0700, Darren McClelland wrote:
> > I haven't found any real answers in any of the archives, or docs. Has
> > anyone here done something like this or have any thoughts?
>
> If you control and trust both servers, why not use ident
> authentication?

Re: Automated database backups and authentication

От
Artur Pietruk
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:39:03AM -0700, Darren McClelland wrote:
> Thanks, that's an idea. I'd always been thinking of ident as unreliable, but
> if I control the authenticating server then it's something usable. At least I
[cut]

    Well, if you want to use ident that way, than you have to trust not
only those two servers, but all hosts in their network segments - do not
forget about ARP poisoning.

    I think, that in your setup it would be better to do crypt=-auth
and:

    - use PGPASSWORD environment variable, just set it before you execute
pg_dumpall. Go and check pgsql-admin list archives - I remember that lately
PG developers stated that PGPASSWORD variable may not be available in the
next PG release - but in that case there will be other way to give password.
Also check online docs: http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?libpq-envars.html.

    OR:

    - you can try to pass password to pg_dumpall through tricks like:
    "echo mypass | pg_dumpall .... "

    Best regards,
--
--- Artur Pietruk, arturp@plukwa.net

Re: Automated database backups and authentication

От
"Chad R. Larson"
Дата:
At 02:34 PM 8/6/02 , Artur Pietruk wrote:
>I think, that in your setup it would be better to do crypt=-auth and:
>- use PGPASSWORD environment variable, just set it before you execute
>pg_dumpall.

The problem with that is most UNIX systems are able to display the contents
of the environment of a process.  Some make it easier than others (on BSD
systems, it is as easy as a switch on "ps") but most can do it.

That was (I believe) the reason that the variable was going away in 7.3,
because it is a security hole.

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad@eldocomp.com
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100

Re: Automated database backups and authentication

От
"John Madden"
Дата:
> The problem with that is most UNIX systems are able to display the
> contents  of the environment of a process.  Some make it easier than
> others (on BSD  systems, it is as easy as a switch on "ps") but most
> can do it.
>
> That was (I believe) the reason that the variable was going away in
> 7.3,  because it is a security hole.

Don't those systems only display the environment of the processes that one
owns?  That's how it seems on Linux, anyway...

John

--
John Madden
UNIX Systems Engineer

Re: Automated database backups and authentication

От
Murthy Kambhampaty
Дата:
If you have a few users and many databases, and the user that created the
database will be the one to access it, it might work for you to do a query
on pg_database to get a list of databases and their creators, then do a
pg_dump of each database while passing the password (echo <password>
redirection or expect script) for each database depending on the user. (I
something similar in MySQL, though not the password pasing, and it looks
like it can be done in pSQL also).

Alternatively, it seems you might run pg_dumpall as the superuser and after
dumping all the databases, chown the dump files?

    Murthy

"Out of the mouths of babes ..."

Curt Sampson
Дата:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, John Madden wrote:

> Don't those systems only display the environment of the processes that one
> owns?  That's how it seems on Linux, anyway...

No, some systems will display the environment of any process.

cjs

Re: Automated database backups and authentication

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:34:58PM +0200, Artur Pietruk wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:39:03AM -0700, Darren McClelland wrote:
> > Thanks, that's an idea. I'd always been thinking of ident as unreliable, but
> > if I control the authenticating server then it's something usable. At least I
> [cut]
>
>     Well, if you want to use ident that way, than you have to trust not
> only those two servers, but all hosts in their network segments - do not
> forget about ARP poisoning.
>
>     I think, that in your setup it would be better to do crypt=-auth
> and:
>
>     - use PGPASSWORD environment variable, just set it before you execute

If you're worried about people poisoning arp, &c., then you'd have to
be mad to put a password in an environment variable.

If you have this sort of security problem, use Kerberos.  It's what
it was designed to solve.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Automated database backups and authentication

От
Darren McClelland
Дата:
Hi,

Thanks to all who responded. Right now I'm partial to using the PGPASSWORD
variable. I was so hung up on looking at the applications I forgot about the
underlying libraries.
I can set the environmental variable in the backup script and make that only
readable by root. It looks like someone would need to be root to look at the
environment of a process they don't own, at least on Linux, which is what I'm
running on. If an attacker has root on the box, it's game over anyway, and
this looks safest from a network based attack.
Thanks again,
Darren McClelland

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 11:14, Darren McClelland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to backup a set of databases from a cron job. It looks like
> pg_dumpall will do the trick. The only problem is that there doesn't seem
> to be any way to pass the database password to pg_dumpall in a non
> interactive manner. I'd like to use some kind of access control on the
> databases, but it would need to be able to function non interactively.
>
> Ideally whatever I do would be able to function across a network, so that
> one database server could backup to a second - kind of a poor man's
> replication.
>
> I haven't found any real answers in any of the archives, or docs. Has
> anyone here done something like this or have any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Darren McClelland

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Automated database backups and authentication

От
Lee Harr
Дата:
> I would like to backup a set of databases from a cron job. It looks like
> pg_dumpall will do the trick. The only problem is that there doesn't seem to
> be any way to pass the database password to pg_dumpall in a non interactive
> manner. I'd like to use some kind of access control on the databases, but it
> would need to be able to function non interactively.
>
> Ideally whatever I do would be able to function across a network, so that one
> database server could backup to a second - kind of a poor man's replication.
>
> I haven't found any real answers in any of the archives, or docs. Has anyone
> here done something like this or have any thoughts?

I just set this up on my system.

I use expect to take the backups and transfer the files to
another system using scp. I also use some python scripts
to figure out what the names of the backup files should
be (using the date for instance).

Some issues I ran into:

* Since the password will be in the expect script, you need
  to be careful with permissions on the script.

* Also, watch your umask for any temporary files you may
  create in the process.

* Expect scripts which run fine from the command line will
  mysteriously fail from cron (and just hang around not
  doing much of anything) I found that using absolute
  paths to *everything* solved most of those problems.

* I set the expect log_user variable to 0 so that I do
  not get any mail about the process.

* I used: set env(SHELL) /bin/sh
  because I was having trouble with figuring out which
  shell was going to run, and this seemed easiest.

I am using the same system to run a daily report too.

I had never used cron, and it was tough to get this
working, but now it seems pretty good.

[OT] Re: Automated... CRON

От
Tim Ellis
Дата:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:32:42 +0000 (UTC)
Lee Harr <missive@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Some issues I ran into:
> [snip]
> * Expect scripts which run fine from the command line will
>   mysteriously fail from cron (and just hang around not
>   doing much of anything) I found that using absolute
>   paths to *everything* solved most of those problems.
> [snip]
> I had never used cron, and it was tough to get this
> working, but now it seems pretty good.

cron is an interesting beast. Because it doesn't source your .profile (or
whatever shell equivalent, .bashrc, .cshrc, .kshrc, whatever), then often
the shell environment of a cron job isn't quite the same as an interactive
session. Usually, in fact, you don't *WANT* it to do most of those
variables. Who cares what your prompt looks like during a cron job,
anyway? But then PATH isn't right, ORACLE_HOME isn't right, or SYBASE
isn't set. Thus, scripts FAIL through cron that worked interactively.

After struggling with this problem for a few years (hey, I'm not bright,
but eventually I get it!), I settled on this:

Once the script is working in an interactive session, I get a list of
environment variables ("env" or "set" -- usually one of those will spew
forth every variable you've got set) then, instead of

00 04 * * * $HOME/dir/script.sh

I do

00 04 * * * $HOME/dir/wrapper.sh script.sh

wrapper.sh is just a shellscript that #1 sets up the environment as it was
during the interactive shell run, takes a single argument (that is, the
script to run). So wrapper.sh looks something like:

#!/bin/bash

export ENV1=/usr/bin
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin
export PGHOME=/usr/local/pgsql

$1 > /var/log/databasescripts/$1.log

The "export XYZ=abc" bit are the lines from the "set" or "env" command
that I deemed necessary. PATH, for me, is always one of those.

With a little experimentation, this method should make setting up cron
jobs a *LOT* easier for you. These days, my cron jobs work on the first
time with no errors about 95% of the time, and I'd say that's completely
because of this method of putting the ENV variables into a wrapper script.

Just make sure you handpick which environment variables to stick into that
script. You don't need/want PWD or _ or SHLVL or anything, but LC_* and
PATH and OSTYPE and HOSTNAME might actually be useful. You will get pretty
good at determining what you need and what you don't after a few
iterations.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect

ps -- Once you have this done, you suddenly realise wrapper.sh is a
perfect place to put some log rotation, log analysis, and email
notification.

I've attached doSQLScript.sh for calling SQL scripts in an Oracle-specific
way, and runScript.sh which is for calling shell scripts (again, with an
Oracle bent). Both of these should be pretty easy to repurpose to
Postgres.

Вложения

Re: Automated database backups and authentication

Дата:
You can use local/ident if your OS supports it. See pg_hba.conf.