Re: Automated database backups and authentication

От Darren McClelland
Тема Re: Automated database backups and authentication
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

Thanks to all who responded. Right now I'm partial to using the PGPASSWORD
variable. I was so hung up on looking at the applications I forgot about the
underlying libraries.
I can set the environmental variable in the backup script and make that only
readable by root. It looks like someone would need to be root to look at the
environment of a process they don't own, at least on Linux, which is what I'm
running on. If an attacker has root on the box, it's game over anyway, and
this looks safest from a network based attack.
Thanks again,
Darren McClelland