Обсуждение: access is denied completely from postgresql!!

access is denied completely from postgresql!!

От
"David"
Дата:
I have done nothing, my LInux server crashed, when i went back in, no user had access to PostgreSQL.

How do i get access back?  Can I somehow just create a new environment with a new database? i dont mind that!  I am just not sure how to do it!

Do i have to remove PostgreSQL?  Cuz it says i haev to remove about 15 different dependancies!! which is a pain..and i dont know if it will automatically work with Apache still if i was to do that and reinstall.. Help!!

Re: access is denied completely from postgresql!!

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Samedi 23 Mars 2002 12:23, David a écrit :
> I have done nothing, my LInux server crashed, when i went back in, no user
> had access to PostgreSQL.
> How do i get access back?  Can I somehow just create a new environment with
> a new database? i dont mind that!  I am just not sure how to do it!
> Do i have to remove PostgreSQL?  Cuz it says i haev to remove about 15
> different dependancies!! which is a pain..and i dont know if it will
> automatically work with Apache still if i was to do that and reinstall..
> Help!!

Don't do anything unless we understand what is going on.
1) What is the version of you PostgreSQL installed (rpm -q postgresql)?
Alternatively, what is your linux distribution?
2) Do you have a backup of your database (schema + data)?
3) What do the logs say when you try to start the database (probably with
'service postgresql start')?

Regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: access is denied completely from postgresql!!

От
"David Dunstone"
Дата:
reallyworry about the database backup because i had only basically created a few databases with test data at this
stage. So im kind of new to the PostgreSQL.  If i try to service it with Webmin, which worked before the crash, Webmin
nowreturns the following kind of error..for example, retrieving a list of users of the system: <h3>SQL <tt>select *
database,just cant do anything with that, add users, or give users permission etc.<p>I dont mind deleting the databases
accessback?  Can I somehow just create a new environment with <div></div>> > a new database? i dont mind that!  I
amjust not sure how to do it! <div></div>> > Do i have to remove PostgreSQL?  Cuz it says i haev to remove about
PostgreSQLinstalled (rpm -q postgresql)? <div></div>>Alternatively, what is your linux distribution?

Re: access is denied completely from postgresql!!

От
"David"
I just worked out how to initialize a new database location and did that so all working now! I just have to recreate my databases.  Thanks!! :)
The Postgresql version is 7.0.3-8 and i am running it on Redhat 7.1.  I dont really worry about the database backup because i had only basically created a few databases with test data at this stage.  So im kind of new to the PostgreSQL.  If i try to service it with Webmin, which worked before the crash, Webmin now returns the following kind of error..for example, retrieving a list of users of the system:

SQL select * from pg_shadow failed : pg_shadow: Permission denied.

I can see the current data in the current database, just cant do anything with that, add users, or give users permission etc.

I dont mind deleting the databases and starting again!!

thanks!

>From: Jean-Michel POURE
>To: "David" ,
>Subject: Re: [ADMIN] access is denied completely from postgresql!!
>Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:11:19 +0100
>
>Le Samedi 23 Mars 2002 12:23, David a écrit :
> > I have done nothing, my LInux server crashed, when i went back in, no user
> > had access to PostgreSQL.
> > How do i get access back?  Can I somehow just create a new environment with
> > a new database? i dont mind that!  I am just not sure how to do it!
> > Do i have to remove PostgreSQL?  Cuz it says i haev to remove about 15
> > different dependancies!! which is a pain..and i dont know if it will
> > automatically work with Apache still if i was to do that and reinstall..
> > Help!!
>
>Don't do anything unless we understand what is going on.
>1) What is the version of you PostgreSQL installed (rpm -q postgresql)?
>Alternatively, what is your linux distribution?
>2) Do you have a backup of your database (schema + data)?
>3) What do the logs say when you try to start the database (probably with
>'service postgresql start')?
>
>Regards,
>Jean-Michel POURE

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

Re: access is denied completely from postgresql!!

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Samedi 23 Mars 2002 13:28, vous avez écrit :
> <P>The Postgresql version is 7.0.3-8 and i am running it on Redhat
> 7.1.  I dont really worry about the database backup because i had only
> basically created a few databases with test data at this stage.  So im
> kind of new to the PostgreSQL.  If i try to service it with Webmin,
> which worked before the crash, Webmin now returns the following kind of
> error..for example, retrieving a list of users of the system:

Hi David,

1) Upgrade to 7.2

If you are starting with a fresh install, consider using PostgreSQL 7.2.
PostgreSQL 7.2 has many improvements, including WAL support (logging in case
of crash) and much more...

RedHat binary packages can be downloaded from
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/PByName.html.

Download :
postgresql-server-7.2-5
postgresql-contrib-7.2-5
postgresql-devel-7.2-5
postgresql-docs-7.2-5
postgresql-jdbc-7.2-5
postgresql-libs-7.2-5
postgresql-odbc-7.2-5

Also, you may be interested in these server-side languages (which are highly
recommanded):
postgresql-perl-7.2-5
postgresql-python-7.2-5
postgresql-tcl-7.2-5
postgresql-tk-7.2-5

Upgrade all packages at once running : rpm -Uvh postgresql*

rpm might answer dependencies are needed. Go to
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/ and download
the required packages.

2) Install a fresh database
delete /var/lib/pgsql/data directory content (not the directory itself).
Then enter "service postgresql start"
This should create a fresh database in /var/lib/pgsql/data/.

3) More information
Detailed information can be found on :
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs (interactive documentation)
http://techdocs.postgresql.org (techdocs)

To administer your database, you can also have a look at pgAdmin2
(http://pgadmin.postgresql.org). pgAdmin2 takes advantage of the lastest 7.2
improvements.

Regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: access is denied completely from postgresql!!

Дата:
"David" <iaredavey@hotmail.com> writes:
> If i try to service it with Webmin, which worked before the =
> crash, Webmin now returns the following kind of error..for example, retriev=
> ing a list of users of the system:=20

>   SQL select * from pg_shadow failed : pg_shadow: Permission denied.
>   I can see the current data in the current database, just cant do anything=
>  with that, add users, or give users permission etc.

Apparently Webmin is connecting as a non-superuser Postgres user.  Check
which user you are starting it as.  Perhaps you have forgotten to set
an appropriate PGUSER environment value?

            regards, tom lane