Обсуждение: Sample database for testing?

Sample database for testing?

От
Andy Ruhl
Дата:
I'm new to postgresql and I was wondering if there was a "sample" database
out there I could use to practice dumping and reloading. I figure I should
get good at recovery and administration before I actually use it... I
don't have a database to do these kinds of things with and I'd rather not
write one just so I can hose it...

Thanks.

Andy

acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: Sample database for testing?

От
bangh
Дата:
There is a database template1 you can play with.

If there is no table in template1, you can create one by:

psql template1
psql> create table mytable (
psql> mydate datetime,
psql> mymem  text);
psql> insert into mytable values('now', 'I am doing this today');
psql> select * from mytable;
psql>\q;

dump your database:

pg_dump template1 > mydump.pgdump

create another copy of this database:

createdb newdatabase

cat mydump.pgdump | psql newdatabase

have a look at your new database

psql newdatabase
psql>\d;
psql>select * from mytable;
(add a new column)
psql>alter table mytable add column priority text;
psql>insert into mytable values('now', 'Always play at first, then ...',
'super high');
psql>select * from mytable;
psql>\q;

Have a lot of fun!

Banghe

Andy Ruhl wrote:

> I'm new to postgresql and I was wondering if there was a "sample" database
> out there I could use to practice dumping and reloading. I figure I should
> get good at recovery and administration before I actually use it... I
> don't have a database to do these kinds of things with and I'd rather not
> write one just so I can hose it...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Andy
>
> acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: Sample database for testing?

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 20:26, bangh wrote:
> There is a database template1 you can play with.
>
> If there is no table in template1, you can create one by:
>
> psql template1
> psql> create table mytable (
> psql> mydate datetime,
> psql> mymem  text);
> psql> insert into mytable values('now', 'I am doing this today');
> psql> select * from mytable;
> psql>\q;

If you do this, you will have mytable in every database you create
thereafter.  It is not called a template for no reason!  template1 is
copied in its entirety into every new database when it is created. (And
so the rest of the advice is redundant, too.)

A better choice is to run the regression tests and use the regression
database for your experiments, since it will have a lot of tables
already containing data.

     "And be not conformed to this world; but be ye
      transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may
      prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect,
      will of God."             Romans 12:2

Вложения

Re: Sample database for testing?

От
Andy Ruhl
Дата:
On 1 Feb 2002, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> If you do this, you will have mytable in every database you create
> thereafter.  It is not called a template for no reason!  template1 is
> copied in its entirety into every new database when it is created. (And
> so the rest of the advice is redundant, too.)

Yeah, I don't think I want to mess with template.

> A better choice is to run the regression tests and use the regression
> database for your experiments, since it will have a lot of tables
> already containing data.

I actually ordered the new Practical Postgresql book from O'Reilly. There
is a sample database in there called booktown.sql. I realize this book is
free online, but I like to support the cause...

> Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver

I gotta check this place out...

Andy

--