Обсуждение: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?

MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?

От
"Joseph Sircy"
Дата:
I would like to know why access is outperforming pgsql in a simple database setup. I have the exact same databases, one in access, the other in pgsql, on the same server, a linux box running redhat 6.2.
They are being accessed by an asp page running IIS 4 on a NT box ( i cant change that).
The connection between the 2 servers is not the issue, we have made sure of that.
Go to http://www.dnhawaii.com/data_test.asp and see for yourself.
One thing I haven't done is post the source code for the page, but all are simple SELECT or UPDATE sql commands.
Any comments would greatly be appreciated, as I may have to explain to higher ups why we NEED to run linux!!

Joe Sircy
Webmaster
dnhawaii.com

Re: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Joseph Sircy wrote:

> I would like to know why access is outperforming pgsql in a simple
> database setup. I have the exact same databases, one in access, the
> other in pgsql, on the same server, a linux box running redhat 6.2.

You can run MS Access under Linux?

PostgreSQL side of things ... depending on what your queries look like, do
you have appropriate INDEXes setup?  Performed a VACUUM ANALYZE?

Re: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?

От
"David C. Hartwig Jr"
Дата:
Joseph Sircy wrote:
I would like to know why access is outperforming pgsql in a simple database setup. I have the exact same databases, one in access, the other in pgsql, on the same server, a linux box running redhat 6.2.They are being accessed by an asp page running IIS 4 on a NT box ( i cant change that).The connection between the 2 servers is not the issue, we have made sure of that.Go to http://www.dnhawaii.com/data_test.asp and see for yourself.One thing I haven't done is post the source code for the page, but all are simple SELECT or UPDATE sql commands.Any comments would greatly be appreciated, as I may have to explain to higher ups why we NEED to run linux!!

I assume your units a are in seconds.    If so, these numbers seem reasonable; PostgreSQL is doing a bit more than work than Access.    Your test for a LIGHT load indicates this.    You may want to consider how each of these perform under a heavy load.   Or not, if salability is not at issue.

For most of the work I have done using  web based transactions, less than a second response times, are more than good enough.   Most users cannot discriminate these time differences.     Its the other features of the two databases that make the difference.

Re: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?

От
"Joseph Sircy"
Дата:
In reponse to all of your replies,
It very well could be user error! Please understand that our test in
comparing access does not mean that access is our other choice, it just
happened to be available.
I have installed 7.0.2 from the website, it is not the version that comes
with redhat.
When I said access was "on the same server" I didn't mean it was actually
"running" under redhat, it is in fact just on the same drive as psql. This
was done to clear up communication/performance issues with the servers.
I am using ODBC to connect in my asp scripts, and I think this may be the
problem.
Maybe I need to try a different ODBC driver, or if anyone knows of a better
way to connect in asp scripts to psql, please let me know.
I would also like to note that if this was in a real world app, i would use
stored procedures for this, but since access cannot do this, it didnt do it
for this test.

I am a believer in Linux, and the open source revolution, and I didnt mean
for this to be one of those "NT vs Linux" posts!

Joe Sircy
Webmaster
dnhawaii.com