Обсуждение: Dead Postmasters

Dead Postmasters

От
"Len Morgan"
Дата:
On a couple of my installations, I've noticed that after a few days there
are several "dead" postmasters (i.e., not associated with any running
backend).  When I do a ps -ax (RedHat 6.1, Postgresql 6.5.3) I see:

[postmaster]
[postmaster]
[postmaster]
[postmaster]
[postmaster]
[postmaster]
and several

/usr/bin/postgres ..... lines

The problem is that there are more [postmaster] lines (sometimes 4 or 5
times as many) as there are /usr/bin/postgres lines.

When I do a kill -TERM pid on all of the [postmaster] pids or restart the
postmaster, the system gets much faster.  The problem is I also cut of
"live" connections in the process.  My question is: Is there any way I can
determine which of the [postmaster] entries are associated with which
/usr/bin/postgres entries?

Thank you!

Len Morgan

RE: Dead Postmasters

От
Nicolas Huillard
Дата:
What I always do is "ps -axf", which will display a "tree" of the processes : you'll know which ones are children of
theothers.
I don't know if the "dead" postmaster will be shown in a readable location... The problem seems to be somewhere else
(kills/signalsto the postmaster/backends, not correctly disconnected connections, etc)

Nicolas Huillard
G.H.S
Directeur Technique
Tél : +33 1 43 21 16 66
Fax : +33 1 56 54 02 18
mailto:nhuillard@ghs.fr
http://www.ghs.fr

On a couple of my installations, I've noticed that after a few days there
are several "dead" postmasters (i.e., not associated with any running
backend).  When I do a ps -ax (RedHat 6.1, Postgresql 6.5.3) I see:

..
[postmaster]
[postmaster]
[postmaster]
[postmaster]
[postmaster]
[postmaster]
..
and several

/usr/bin/postgres ..... lines

The problem is that there are more [postmaster] lines (sometimes 4 or 5
times as many) as there are /usr/bin/postgres lines.

When I do a kill -TERM pid on all of the [postmaster] pids or restart the
postmaster, the system gets much faster.  The problem is I also cut of
"live" connections in the process.  My question is: Is there any way I can
determine which of the [postmaster] entries are associated with which
/usr/bin/postgres entries?

Thank you!

Len Morgan

how do I set DateStyle = European in postmaster ?

От
Michael Holopainen
Дата:
How do I set datestyle to European in server end ?

I tried running postmaster with "-oe" as instructed in one email, but it
resulted as error it did not accept -oe.
for moment I all connections set datestyle = European, but it's not
enough.

please, help!!!!1

-michael (A)

--
   --"Would you fly on airplane controlled by MS Windows ?"--
| Michael Holopainen | Valuraudantie 25 | Tel: +358-(0)9-35093825  |

Re: how do I set DateStyle = European in postmaster ?

От
"Anthony E. Greene"
Дата:
Michael Holopainen wrote:

> How do I set datestyle to European in server end ?
>
> I tried running postmaster with "-oe" as instructed in one email, but it
> resulted as error it did not accept -oe.
> for moment I all connections set datestyle = European, but it's not
> enough.

This can be set in an environment variable in the same script that
starts the postmaster. The name of the varible is in the docs.

--
Anthony E. Greene <agreene@pobox.com> <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/>
PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D