Обсуждение: PG_VERSION Errors???

PG_VERSION Errors???

От
"Glerum, Joe - KyEM"
Дата:
I have just installed the latest non-beta version of Postgres on a RedHat
6.0 server.

I get the following messages on the console:

    No data directory -- can't proceed.
    -bash: 1:command not found
    -bash: 1:command not found
    INIT: Id "pg" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    Database system in directory /usr/local/pgsql/data is not compatable
with this version of Postgres, or we are unable to read the PG_VERSION file.
Explanation from the ValidatePgVersion: Version number in file
'/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION' should be 6.5, not 6.4.

When I change the 6.4 to 6.5 and restart the postmaster I can't do so with
errors to change it back to 6.4.

Joseph J. Glerum
Systems Support Technician
Ky Division of Emergency Management
(502) 607-1690
jglerum@kydes.dma.state.ky.us
http://webserve.dma.state.ky.us

Re: PG_VERSION Errors???

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
"Glerum, Joe - KyEM" wrote:
>         Database system in directory /usr/local/pgsql/data is not compatable
> with this version of Postgres, or we are unable to read the PG_VERSION file.
> Explanation from the ValidatePgVersion: Version number in file
> '/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION' should be 6.5, not 6.4.

> When I change the 6.4 to 6.5 and restart the postmaster I can't do so with
> errors to change it back to 6.4.

Did you do a dump/initdb/restore cycle?  For a major version upgrade
(such s 6.4.2 to 6.5.3), you must first dump your old database using
pg_dumpall, clear out the database directory, initdb with the new
version, then restore using 'psql -e template1 <dumped-data-file'.

By the error message you gave, I'm assuming you are using the standard,
non-RPM distribution.  The RPM distribution since 6.5.1 or so has
included a set of tools to make the migration easier.  Upon an upgrade
of the RPM's, a copy of the old executables is saved; also, a
postgresql-dump utility is provided to use the old executables to make a
dump.  Then, the new version can be started up.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: PG_VERSION Errors???

От
"Walter M. Yuan"
Дата:
HI, Lamar,

A quick question on the "dump/initdb/restore" cycle: I don't think that it
works that well, at least from my recent experience. With just a small db
(approx 2MB of dumped size), I failed to use restore as it ran out of
query buffer. Instead, I had to import the schemas first and then load
each table (or sub-table) separately. Quite few people suggested me to use
either pg_lo or upgrade to the beta-7.0 (where query length is no longer
limited to 2 block-size)... I just want to confirm w/ you on this, thanks.

btw, for the regression test, I can't find the makefile.global which is
required to compile the executables. Did I miss sth? Thanks again.

Regards,

Walter

Walter M. Yuan--  CASSEL, Dept. of Econ.
Bunche Hall, UCLA,
Los Angeles, CA 90095
(CIT) :626-395-8091; (UCLA):310-206-7466

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Lamar Owen wrote:

> "Glerum, Joe - KyEM" wrote:
> >         Database system in directory /usr/local/pgsql/data is not compatable
> > with this version of Postgres, or we are unable to read the PG_VERSION file.
> > Explanation from the ValidatePgVersion: Version number in file
> > '/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION' should be 6.5, not 6.4.
>
> > When I change the 6.4 to 6.5 and restart the postmaster I can't do so with
> > errors to change it back to 6.4.
>
> Did you do a dump/initdb/restore cycle?  For a major version upgrade
> (such s 6.4.2 to 6.5.3), you must first dump your old database using
> pg_dumpall, clear out the database directory, initdb with the new
> version, then restore using 'psql -e template1 <dumped-data-file'.
>
> By the error message you gave, I'm assuming you are using the standard,
> non-RPM distribution.  The RPM distribution since 6.5.1 or so has
> included a set of tools to make the migration easier.  Upon an upgrade
> of the RPM's, a copy of the old executables is saved; also, a
> postgresql-dump utility is provided to use the old executables to make a
> dump.  Then, the new version can be started up.
>
> --
> Lamar Owen
> WGCR Internet Radio
> 1 Peter 4:11

Re: PG_VERSION Errors???

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
"Walter M. Yuan" wrote:
> A quick question on the "dump/initdb/restore" cycle: I don't think that it
> works that well, at least from my recent experience. With just a small db
> (approx 2MB of dumped size), I failed to use restore as it ran out of
> query buffer. Instead, I had to import the schemas first and then load
> each table (or sub-table) separately. Quite few people suggested me to use
> either pg_lo or upgrade to the beta-7.0 (where query length is no longer
> limited to 2 block-size)... I just want to confirm w/ you on this, thanks.

Yes, this can sometimes be a real problem.  Although I've not had it
reported very often -- and for the 6.5.x to 7.0 transition, we'll be
able to use pg_upgrade (yay!).  This causes problems with everybody --
and I'm so glad it is fixed for 7.0.

> btw, for the regression test, I can't find the makefile.global which is
> required to compile the executables. Did I miss sth? Thanks again.

The executables are precompiled in the postgresql-test RPM.  Simply cd
to /usr/lib/pgsql/test/regress, su to postgres, make sure postmaster is
running, and './regress.sh platform'  Make is not required to run
regression in the RPM distribution.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [GENERAL] PG_VERSION Errors???

От
Titus Brown
Дата:
-> I have just installed the latest non-beta version of Postgres on a RedHat
-> 6.0 server.
->
-> I get the following messages on the console:
->
->
->     No data directory -- can't proceed.
->     -bash: 1:command not found
->     -bash: 1:command not found
->     INIT: Id "pg" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
->     Database system in directory /usr/local/pgsql/data is not compatable
-> with this version of Postgres, or we are unable to read the PG_VERSION file.
-> Explanation from the ValidatePgVersion: Version number in file
-> '/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION' should be 6.5, not 6.4.
->
-> When I change the 6.4 to 6.5 and restart the postmaster I can't do so with
-> errors to change it back to 6.4.

Why are you e-mailing so many lists??

If you watch the 'initdb' command carefully, you'll note a 'pg_version'
error.  Find 'pg_version' under the source build, then run

    pg_version /usr/local/pgsql/data

--titus