Обсуждение: Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

От
mark
Дата:
Hello,

apologies if I'm not getting the UI terms right. However, I am able to reproduce this fairly consistently.

machine: MacbookPro11,2
OSX: OS X 10.10.2 (14C109)
kernel: Darwin 14.1.0
pgAdmin3: 1.20.0

(not complied from source, installed from dmg file linked on pgadmin.org)

Steps to reproduce:
1. have multiple monitors attached prior to launching pgAdmin3. (in my case two external dispalys in addition ), non-mirrored mode.
2. launch pgadmin3
3. connect to a database.
4. click SQL query button: ("execute arbitrary sql queries" is the tool tip)
5. the query window will launch in a 'broken' manner. The query window launches in some full screen mode that isn't the standard full screen mode, e.g. it can't be exited in the same fashion and keeps the top bar visible. however the  red orange green buttons and associcated program bar are missing.

disconnecting and reconnecting the external displays fixes the issue until reboot.

unsure if this is an OSX quirk or something related to pgAdmin3.

thanks,

-Mark

Re: Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 9:18 PM, mark <dvlhntr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> apologies if I'm not getting the UI terms right. However, I am able to
> reproduce this fairly consistently.
>
> machine: MacbookPro11,2
> OSX: OS X 10.10.2 (14C109)
> kernel: Darwin 14.1.0
> pgAdmin3: 1.20.0
>
> (not complied from source, installed from dmg file linked on pgadmin.org)
>

> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. have multiple monitors attached prior to launching pgAdmin3. (in my case
> two external dispalys in addition ), non-mirrored mode.
> 2. launch pgadmin3
> 3. connect to a database.
> 4. click SQL query button: ("execute arbitrary sql queries" is the tool tip)
> 5. the query window will launch in a 'broken' manner. The query window
> launches in some full screen mode that isn't the standard full screen mode,
> e.g. it can't be exited in the same fashion and keeps the top bar visible.
> however the  red orange green buttons and associcated program bar are
> missing.
>

> disconnecting and reconnecting the external displays fixes the issue until
> reboot.
>

> unsure if this is an OSX quirk or something related to pgAdmin3.

I think it's an OS X quirk, as I've noticed it on my multi-monitor
setup as well. However, I've had that for years, and this is a recent
thing so I think it's a change in OS X that's causing it.

What I've found is that the window is actually perfectly normal and
works fine, except that it defaults to a position such that the title
bar is obscured behind the OS X menu bar, giving it the appearance of
full screen mode on part of the screen.

It's on my TODO list to investigate further, but I have been wondering
if it is caused by the vertical height offsets in the monitors - in my
case I have 2 23" monitors on the center and left, and my laptop
screen on the right. The broken windows spawn on the laptop screen
which is aligned (roughly) so that that bottom lines up with the
bottom of the monitors. However, the monitors have higher vertical
resolution than the laptop screen, meaning that their tops are at a
higher position.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

От
John Abraham
Дата:
This is indeed a problem with OS X and, for me, is a much more common problem with pgadmin3 than with any other application. However, I personally no longer seem to have this problem.

I'm not a developer of pgadmin, hopefully one will chime in. From my limited knowledge and fuzzy memory, here are two things to try:

1) find your pgadmin preferences file and delete it. It contains the connection information to your databases, so you might want to copy that information to the new one that gets created.  Note that I don't think uninstalling now and reinstalling pgadmin will reset your preference file.

2) changing screen resolution to fix it each time it happens. This is easier and more reliable than unplugging the monitor.

--
John Abraham

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any typos.

[...]

Sheldon Strauch

[...]

Actually, I've been experiencing this for as long as I have had a Mac, for several versions of osx. From my observation, it appears that the display space on the laptop is being reported as the entire screen rather than the screen minus the menu bar. When pgAdmin has had the query window open to larger dimensions than the laptop display less the menus bar on the attached monitor. PgAdmin then kindly saves the sis and position when I close the window and exit. Later, when I do not have the monitor attached, I open pgAdmin and a query window; pgAdmin dutifully re-sizes and relocates the window to the reported display size, which doesn't account for the osx menu bar. I've always assumed the was a WX issue with no real solution. I've found that once this happens, maximizing, then I maximizing, the affected window seems to resize the window correctly.

Cheers!

P. S.: Thank you Dave and friends for a marvelous application without which my daily life would be terribly worse off! I love pgAdmin more than you will ever know.

Re: Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

От
John Abraham
Дата:
[...]

Here's a new solution I wasn't aware of: "Windows that support resizing from all edges can also be moved" in this case try grabbing the side, as if you wanted to make it narrower, but then instead of dragging it sideways (to make it narrower) drag it down (to show the red/orange/green buttons and title).  The query windows (now) support resizing from the edges, not just the corner (pgAdmin3 v 1.18).

I think you may be right about the vertical height offsets in the monitors.  I think maybe the reason I haven't had the problem for a while is that I've aligned the top of my monitors in System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement.

The generic solution on the forums and google and Apple help for dealing with this is to go to the Window menu and pick "Zoom" or "Move" or "Bring All To Front" or "Arrange All" or whatever window moving/tiling solutions are available in the app in the Window menu.  Can we just add the standard "Window" menu to the OSX version of PgAdmin3, or is that too much of an operating system specific addition?  It would be very nice to have a Window menu with the list of open windows at the bottom of it, as per standard OSX practice, so that I don't have to right-click on the dock and select "Show All Windows" and squint to figure out which one I want to interact with.

John Abraham

Re: Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 5:18 PM, John Abraham <jea@hbaspecto.com> wrote:

> Here's a new solution I wasn't aware of: "Windows that support resizing from
> all edges can also be moved" in this case try grabbing the side, as if you
> wanted to make it narrower, but then instead of dragging it sideways (to
> make it narrower) drag it down (to show the red/orange/green buttons and
> title).  The query windows (now) support resizing from the edges, not just
> the corner (pgAdmin3 v 1.18).

Really? That doesn't work for me. This does though (from the link you provided):

Hold on option (or alt) while clicking the Window menu. This should
change Bring All to Front into Arrange in Front, which did the trick
for me.

> I think you may be right about the vertical height offsets in the monitors.
> I think maybe the reason I haven't had the problem for a while is that I've
> aligned the top of my monitors in System Preferences -> Displays ->
> Arrangement.
>
> The generic solution on the forums and google and Apple help for dealing
> with this is to go to the Window menu and pick "Zoom" or "Move" or "Bring
> All To Front" or "Arrange All" or whatever window moving/tiling solutions
> are available in the app in the Window menu.  Can we just add the standard
> "Window" menu to the OSX version of PgAdmin3, or is that too much of an
> operating system specific addition?  It would be very nice to have a Window
> menu with the list of open windows at the bottom of it, as per standard OSX
> practice, so that I don't have to right-click on the dock and select "Show
> All Windows" and squint to figure out which one I want to interact with.

That menu doesn't come from pgAdmin; OS X (or maybe wxWidgets) puts it
there for us.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

От
greenpm
Дата:
It appears that this is a bug in the way the pgAdmin stores the window (or
dialog) location to the "pgadmin3 Preferences" file when it exits. Following
is a snippet of a typical problematic window location. Notice that the Top
is a negative number. pgAdmin should never save a negative number. If this
file is edited to contain a positive number (I used "Top=240") the window
appears correctly.

[Properties/Server]
Left=2525
Top=-51
Width=600
Height=552

Re: Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 4:48 PM, greenpm <pgreen@bottomline.com> wrote:
> It appears that this is a bug in the way the pgAdmin stores the window (or
> dialog) location to the "pgadmin3 Preferences" file when it exits. Following
> is a snippet of a typical problematic window location. Notice that the Top
> is a negative number. pgAdmin should never save a negative number. If this
> file is edited to contain a positive number (I used "Top=240") the window
> appears correctly.
>

> [Properties/Server]
> Left=2525
> Top=-51
> Width=600
> Height=552

Aside from the sign, does it seem that the value is correct, or just
one that would work? I've seen this issue on my system, however I have
multiple monitors of differing sizes and always assumed it was just
wxWidgets getting the position from the wrong monitor (wx really
doesn't handle multiple displays well).

Sanket; can you see what would be involved in patching the pgAdmin
code to ensure we never store a negative coordinate for Window
position? Not sure if just removing the sign or resetting to zero or
something would be best - I think we need to test that.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

От
Sanket Mehta
Дата:
Sure Dave.

I will look into it and revert back

Regards,
Sanket Mehta
Sr Software engineer
Enterprisedb

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 4:48 PM, greenpm <pgreen@bottomline.com> wrote:
> It appears that this is a bug in the way the pgAdmin stores the window (or
> dialog) location to the "pgadmin3 Preferences" file when it exits. Following
> is a snippet of a typical problematic window location. Notice that the Top
> is a negative number. pgAdmin should never save a negative number. If this
> file is edited to contain a positive number (I used "Top=240") the window
> appears correctly.
>

> [Properties/Server]
> Left=2525
> Top=-51
> Width=600
> Height=552

Aside from the sign, does it seem that the value is correct, or just
one that would work? I've seen this issue on my system, however I have
multiple monitors of differing sizes and always assumed it was just
wxWidgets getting the position from the wrong monitor (wx really
doesn't handle multiple displays well).

Sanket; can you see what would be involved in patching the pgAdmin
code to ensure we never store a negative coordinate for Window
position? Not sure if just removing the sign or resetting to zero or
something would be best - I think we need to test that.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

От
Sanket Mehta
Дата:
Hi Dave,

I have created and attached the patch which will set 0 in case of any negative coordinate for any window.
Please do review it and let me know if anything is missing.

Regards,
Sanket Mehta
Sr Software engineer
Enterprisedb

> It appears that this is a bug in the way the pgAdmin stores the window (or
> dialog) location to the "pgadmin3 Preferences" file when it exits. Following
> is a snippet of a typical problematic window location. Notice that the Top
> is a negative number. pgAdmin should never save a negative number. If this
> file is edited to contain a positive number (I used "Top=240") the window
> appears correctly.
>

> [Properties/Server]
> Left=2525
> Top=-51
> Width=600
> Height=552

Aside from the sign, does it seem that the value is correct, or just
one that would work? I've seen this issue on my system, however I have
multiple monitors of differing sizes and always assumed it was just
wxWidgets getting the position from the wrong monitor (wx really
doesn't handle multiple displays well).

Sanket; can you see what would be involved in patching the pgAdmin
code to ensure we never store a negative coordinate for Window
position? Not sure if just removing the sign or resetting to zero or
something would be best - I think we need to test that.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: Possible Bug: pgAdmin3 , OSX multi monitor quirk.

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Thanks - the patch looks OK to my eyeballs. Ashesh said he'd take a
look as well, and (I hope) will get it committed. :-)

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Sanket Mehta

Ashesh Vashi
Дата: