Обсуждение: Strange character in Table Properties

Strange character in Table Properties

От
Colin Beckingham
Дата:
1.15 Dev, latest from git.

This is not an error, no crash, no backtrace, just an unexplained
character in property definition.

1. open pgadmin
2. drill down and right click a table name, click on properties
3. click the 'columns' tab
4. columns are listed. Window shows:
['Column name','Definition','Inherited from table']
data for my columns appear in the first two but the inherited from is
blank since it is not inherited from anything.
Dotted box appears around the three columns so this is a group.
5. however there appears to be an untitled ghost 4th column
since there is a text numeric character (I have seen 2,3) to the
right of the third column.
6. select one of the three column groups (click inside dotted box) click
change, dialog box appears.
7. adjust the comment for the column, click ok. Nothing is saved.
8. Adjust width of 3-col group, phantom number to the right disappears
from the currently selected row and if absent from previously selected
row appears there.

Looks like the string is pulling in a character from a different buffer.
--
---
Colin Beckingham

Re: Strange character in Table Properties

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 08:30 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:
> 1.15 Dev, latest from git.
>
> This is not an error, no crash, no backtrace, just an unexplained
> character in property definition.
>
> 1. open pgadmin
> 2. drill down and right click a table name, click on properties
> 3. click the 'columns' tab
> 4. columns are listed. Window shows:
> ['Column name','Definition','Inherited from table']
> data for my columns appear in the first two but the inherited from is
> blank since it is not inherited from anything.
> Dotted box appears around the three columns so this is a group.
> 5. however there appears to be an untitled ghost 4th column
> since there is a text numeric character (I have seen 2,3) to the
> right of the third column.

Actually, there are some invisible columns after the three visible ones.
I have no ideas why it shows something.

> 6. select one of the three column groups (click inside dotted box) click
> change, dialog box appears.
> 7. adjust the comment for the column, click ok. Nothing is saved.

Are you sure? because it works for me. The OK button is enabled and the
SQL textbox is filled with the COMMENT statement.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

On 03/13/2012 05:18 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 08:30 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:
>> 1.15 Dev, latest from git.
>>
>> This is not an error, no crash, no backtrace, just an unexplained
>> character in property definition.
>>
>> 1. open pgadmin
>> 2. drill down and right click a table name, click on properties
>> 3. click the 'columns' tab
>> 4. columns are listed. Window shows:
>> ['Column name','Definition','Inherited from table']
>> data for my columns appear in the first two but the inherited from is
>> blank since it is not inherited from anything.
>> Dotted box appears around the three columns so this is a group.
>> 5. however there appears to be an untitled ghost 4th column
>> since there is a text numeric character (I have seen 2,3) to the
>> right of the third column.
>
> Actually, there are some invisible columns after the three visible ones.
> I have no ideas why it shows something.

I have attached a jpg image of what my screen shows. I selected a
different table this time in case the table was the issue. Let me know
what other info I can supply.

>> 6. select one of the three column groups (click inside dotted box) click
>> change, dialog box appears.
>> 7. adjust the comment for the column, click ok. Nothing is saved.
>
> Are you sure? because it works for me. The OK button is enabled and the
> SQL textbox is filled with the COMMENT statement.

My error here. The comment does appear in the SQL statement. I was
expecting the change button to immediately bring back the new comment in
the columns tab, but it does not, presumably it has not fully refreshed.
If I close the properties box and reopen it the new comment is there.

--
---
Colin Beckingham

Вложения

On 03/13/2012 06:45 PM, Colin Beckingham wrote:

> On 03/13/2012 05:18 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 08:30 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:
>>> 1.15 Dev, latest from git.
>>>
>>> This is not an error, no crash, no backtrace, just an unexplained
>>> character in property definition.
>>>
>>> 1. open pgadmin
>>> 2. drill down and right click a table name, click on properties
>>> 3. click the 'columns' tab
>>> 4. columns are listed. Window shows:
>>> ['Column name','Definition','Inherited from table']
>>> data for my columns appear in the first two but the inherited from is
>>> blank since it is not inherited from anything.
>>> Dotted box appears around the three columns so this is a group.
>>> 5. however there appears to be an untitled ghost 4th column
>>> since there is a text numeric character (I have seen 2,3) to the
>>> right of the third column.
>>
>> Actually, there are some invisible columns after the three visible ones.
>> I have no ideas why it shows something.
>
> I have attached a jpg image of what my screen shows. I selected a
> different table this time in case the table was the issue. Let me know
> what other info I can supply.

FYI some more information on this issue:

1. select arbitrary table
2. go to Properties - Columns
3. add an arbitrary boolean column 'junk', click OK
4. new row appears with the number '1' at far right
5. click OK to make the addition permanent, dialog disappears
6. reopen Properties - Columns
7. number at far right is now '3'

It does not seem to be related to the number of columns or the data
type. I have a table with 4 columns integer 3, integer 2, boolean 3,
boolean 3, and each time the columns tab is opened and fields changed
these numbers can be swapped around.

--
---
Colin Beckingham