Обсуждение: feature request

feature request

От
Michael Shapiro
Дата:
Is is possible to have the results from multiple select statements be shown in the SQL Editor?<br />You can run
multiple,but only the results of the last one are currently shown.<br /> <br />

Re: feature request

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 10:24 -0600, Michael Shapiro wrote:
> Is is possible to have the results from multiple select statements be shown
> in the SQL Editor?

This is a TODO (http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/340). Unless someone
is interested in working on a patch for this now (and has a great UI
idea), it won't be done for 1.16.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: feature request

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 09:35 +0100, UNTERRAINER.Guenther@leitwind.com
wrote:
> A suggestion to this request:
> I was used to work with TOAD on Oracle and there when you had more
> statements in the editor (what you usually have),
> when you executed then automatically only the statement where you had
> the cursor on was executed. Very useful.

You can already to that by selecting the query you want to execute.
People ask that we add a new way to execute queries so that it executes
the query where your cursor is but it is really difficult to do (where
does your query start, and where does it stop? one possible answer would
be to execute the line, but I have various examples showing it doesn't
seem such a good idea).

> One more request:
> the object tree on the left site if apparently not automatically
> refreshed. So from time to time it happens to me when I compile
> an object (function, view, ...) and I forget to refresh on the tree
> and I reopen it later (with create script function) then it gives me
> the old code
> and so it happens to me if I don't note this that I overwrite the
> changes from before.
> I understand that the problem is maybe the way I'm working but still
> an auto refresh of the tree would be good I think.

1.15 has already some code to auto-refresh objects in the tree when you
click on them.

> And as I'm already here, one more request for the job control
> (pgagent):
> --> not sure if this is the right place to ask this here, if not
> please tell me where to ask this

Well, pgadmin-support is a better place than asking me directly :)
(which is why I CC the list).

> From the icon you see only if the job is enabled or not.
> For me it would be very helpful if you could see the fallowing by the
> icon:
> 1. if the job is disabled (already implemented)
> 2. if one of the steps is disabled
> 3. if the job is running
> 4. if the last run was not successful

Yes, could be a nive idea.

> Apart from this requests, thank all of you very much for this great
> (free!!) tool!

You're welcome.

Regards.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: feature request

От
Michael Shapiro
Дата:
SInce postgres would require a semi-colon between stmts, you could use that fact to determine where a stamt starts and
Mar8, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Guillaume Lelarge <span dir="ltr"><<a
style="margin:00 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br /> On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 09:35 +0100, <a
suggestionto this request:<br /> > I was used to work with TOAD on Oracle and there when you had more<br /> >
statementsin the editor (what you usually have),<br /> > when you executed then automatically only the statement
selectingthe query you want to execute.<br /> People ask that we add a new way to execute queries so that it
executes<br/> the query where your cursor is but it is really difficult to do (where<br /> does your query start, and
wheredoes it stop? one possible answer would<br /> be to execute the line, but I have various examples showing it

Re: feature request

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> SInce postgres would require a semi-colon between stmts, you could use that
> fact to determine where a stamt starts and where it ends (even for the case
> when the last stmt doesn't have one)

What if there's a semi colon in a comment, string, anonymous block or
stored procedure? We need a parser to deal with that, not just a
simple split on semi colons.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: feature request

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 12:43 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> > SInce postgres would require a semi-colon between stmts, you could use that
> > fact to determine where a stamt starts and where it ends (even for the case
> > when the last stmt doesn't have one)
>
> What if there's a semi colon in a comment, string, anonymous block or
> stored procedure? We need a parser to deal with that, not just a
> simple split on semi colons.

Agreed. It's really not a simple task.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: feature request

От
Michael Shapiro
Дата:
class="gmail_quote"style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:26
PM,Michael Shapiro <<a href="mailto:mshapiro51@gmail.com">mshapiro51@gmail.com</a>> wrote:<br /> > SInce
postgreswould require a semi-colon between stmts, you could use that<br /> > fact to determine where a stmt starts
colonin a comment, string, anonymous block or<br /> stored procedure? We need a parser to deal with that, not just a<br

Re: feature request

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 11:37 +0100, UNTERRAINER.Guenther@leitwind.com
wrote:
> Thanks for your answers!!
>

> > You can already to that by selecting the query you want to execute.
> > People ask that we add a new way to execute queries so that it
> executes
> > the query where your cursor is but it is really difficult to do
> (where
> > does your query start, and where does it stop? one possible answer
> would
> > be to execute the line, but I have various examples showing it
> doesn't
> > seem such a good idea).
>
> Yes I know this. But selecting every time is a little laborious (I
> know I'm complaining
> on a very high level..)
> but just to tell: in TOAD you only have to have at least one empty
> line between the statements,
> so it is recognized and you can stay with the cursor on each line of
> the statement, does not matter.
> This is very intuitive and everyone I know likes it.

Yes, someone else told us about this, and I find that a smart way to do
it. I guess that, if we ever happen to offer this, we'll have an option
to select between the old and new behaviour.

Anyway, this would be nice-to-have.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: feature request

От
Bartosz Dmytrak
Дата:
Hi,
I second the request.
I am not wxWidgets developer but I think there are to different UI solutions:
  • different tabs in output section like in SQL Workbench
  • different record sets like in MS (something like table of tables)
I think it could be configured in options which approach is preferred by user, because both has pros and cons

Regards,
Bartek

2012/3/7 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 10:24 -0600, Michael Shapiro wrote:
> Is is possible to have the results from multiple select statements be shown
> in the SQL Editor?

This is a TODO (http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/340). Unless someone
is interested in working on a patch for this now (and has a great UI
idea), it won't be done for 1.16.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: feature request

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 21:51 +0100, Bartosz Dmytrak wrote:
> Hi,
> I second the request.
> I am not wxWidgets developer but I think there are to different UI
> solutions:
>       * different tabs in output section like in SQL Workbench
>       * different record sets like in MS (something like table of
>         tables)
> I think it could be configured in options which
> approach is preferred by user, because both has pros and cons

Hmmm, no, we'll go for one. I would prefer the former, but nothing yet
is really settled.