Обсуждение: pgAdmin III 1.12.0 on Windows Server 2003

pgAdmin III 1.12.0 on Windows Server 2003

От
Patrik Wenger
Дата:
Hello

I've been using pgAdmin for a few months. It's cool.
But I have troubles with the new version 1.12.0 on Windows Server 2003.

Because of stupid IT management in my company, I'm forced to install pgAdmin III on another Windows machine
and then zip the installed folder (something like C:\Programs\pgAdmin\1.10) and extract the package on that Windows
Servermachine.
This used to work with 1.10 (including 1.10.5). But it doesn't work with 1.12.0 anymore. At least on Windows Server
2003.
It works on Windows XP.

The error occurs immediately after clicking on the pgadmin3.exe and says something like (it's German on that machine):
The application could not be started because the application configuration is not proper. For troubleshooting, try
installingthe application again.

The exact version of that Windows Server 2003 machine is (got from Taskmanager->?->Help):
Version 5.2 (Build 3790.srv03_sp2_qfe.100216-1301 : Service Pack 2)

By the way, could you provide zipped packages that don't require installing?
Thanks in advance.

Regards, Patrik

Re: pgAdmin III 1.12.0 on Windows Server 2003

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Patrik Wenger <paddor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've been using pgAdmin for a few months. It's cool.
> But I have troubles with the new version 1.12.0 on Windows Server 2003.
>
> Because of stupid IT management in my company, I'm forced to install pgAdmin III on another Windows machine
> and then zip the installed folder (something like C:\Programs\pgAdmin\1.10) and extract the package on that Windows
Servermachine.

> This used to work with 1.10 (including 1.10.5). But it doesn't work with 1.12.0 anymore. At least on Windows Server
2003.
> It works on Windows XP.

Yes. 'Stupid IT management' is a good description.

> The error occurs immediately after clicking on the pgadmin3.exe and says something like (it's German on that
machine):
> The application could not be started because the application configuration is not proper. For troubleshooting, try
installingthe application again.

> The exact version of that Windows Server 2003 machine is (got from Taskmanager->?->Help):
> Version 5.2 (Build 3790.srv03_sp2_qfe.100216-1301 : Service Pack 2)

You'll need to install (or copy to the pgAdmin directory) the VC++
2008 runtimes. You can download the installer from microsoft.com.

> By the way, could you provide zipped packages that don't require installing?

Aside from you there hasn't been any requests for them.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Fwd: pgAdmin III 1.12.0 on Windows Server 2003

От
Patrik Wenger
Дата:
Hello Dave

> Yes. 'Stupid IT management' is a good description.
Sorry, English is not my first language. The IT guys are very restrictive, which means I cannot run the installation
fileon the server. And I cannot access the PostgreSQL database (running on Linux) otherwise, because this whole network
isonly reachable through Citrix. You see? My company is paranoid. lol

That's why I (and my team) have been using an archived version of pgAdmin installed on a personal Windows XP machine.
Butas of 1.12.0, this doesn't work anymore.

> You'll need to install (or copy to the pgAdmin directory) the VC++
> 2008 runtimes. You can download the installer from microsoft.com.
Could you provide me an archive of that directory? I don't have VC++ and I can't install it on that machine.
Nor I won't do it on any other Windows machine.

By the way, this is no bug? You intended to change it this way?

> Aside from you there hasn't been any requests for them.
Would it be that difficult for you? I and my team would be very thankful.

Thank you in advance.
Regards, Patrik

Re: pgAdmin III 1.12.0 on Windows Server 2003

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Patrik Wenger <paddor@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You'll need to install (or copy to the pgAdmin directory) the VC++
>> 2008 runtimes. You can download the installer from microsoft.com.
> Could you provide me an archive of that directory? I don't have VC++ and I can't install it on that machine.

I'm afraid not, as distributing the runtimes like that isn't allowed
by the licence. Surely you have a PC somewhere and can install them on
that, and copy to your production machine?

> Nor I won't do it on any other Windows machine.

With respect, if you won't do it, why should I?

> By the way, this is no bug? You intended to change it this way?

No it's not a bug. It's a consequence of us using VC++ 2008 instead of
2005. Next year it'll probably be built with 2010. I suspect you have
some other software on your servers that already had the 2005 runtimes
installed, which is why pgAdmin worked as it did. On a clean
installation of Windows it wouldn't work like that.

>> Aside from you there hasn't been any requests for them.
> Would it be that difficult for you? I and my team would be very thankful.

It probably would be tricky to automate as we need to figure out where
to get the runtimes from. Different versions get installed
side-by-side in different directories, and I'm not sure how you are
supposed to figure that out (you don't need to to just use them).
Doing it manually would be time consuming, and I'm afraid I already
spend 12+ hours a day working most of the time, and really don't want
to add to that.

Maybe someone else can help?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: pgAdmin III 1.12.0 on Windows Server 2003

От
Patrik Wenger
Дата:
>> Nor I won't do it on any other Windows machine.
>
> With respect, if you won't do it, why should I?
Hehe, I don't know. Maybe because you like working on Windows?
Of course, you don't have to. :-)

>> By the way, this is no bug? You intended to change it this way?
>
> No it's not a bug. It's a consequence of us using VC++ 2008 instead of
> 2005. Next year it'll probably be built with 2010. I suspect you have
> some other software on your servers that already had the 2005 runtimes
> installed, which is why pgAdmin worked as it did. On a clean
> installation of Windows it wouldn't work like that.
Oh I see. So that's why it worked and now it doesn't. I understand.
Thank you for this information.

>>> Aside from you there hasn't been any requests for them.
>> Would it be that difficult for you? I and my team would be very thankful.
>
> It probably would be tricky to automate as we need to figure out where
> to get the runtimes from. Different versions get installed
> side-by-side in different directories, and I'm not sure how you are
> supposed to figure that out (you don't need to to just use them).
> Doing it manually would be time consuming, and I'm afraid I already
> spend 12+ hours a day working most of the time, and really don't want
> to add to that.
>
> Maybe someone else can help?

Thank you for that explanation. I think I just tell those IT guys to update that VC++ stuff but I'm sure they won't do
it.
Maybe I just try some other GUIs.

Thanks anyway. :-)