Обсуждение: slowness in the connection

slowness in the connection

От
"Marie-Claude QUIDOZ"
Дата:
connectto a postgres server 8.4.2.1 installed on a Windows 2008 server 32-bit server (service pack 2). The connection
/></span></span><spanstyle="font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black;
class="MsoNormal"> <pclass="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Arial","sans-serif""> </span><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt">-----------------------------</span><pclass="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt">Marie-ClaudeQUIDOZ</span><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt">CEFE/ CNRS</span><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt">1919,Route de Mende</span><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt">34293Montpellier Cedex 5</span><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt">Tel: 04 67 61 32 55</span><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-autospace:none"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt"><ahref="mailto:Marie-Claude.Quidoz@cefe.cnrs.fr"><span

Re: slowness in the connection

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 27/09/2010 11:58, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ a écrit :
> Hello
>
> I use 1.12.0 PGAdminIII from a client for seven windows connect to a
> postgres server 8.4.2.1 installed on a Windows 2008 server 32-bit server
> (service pack 2). The connection is extremely slow.
>
> Should we change a parameter in the configuration either Postgres or
> pgAdmin?

If the connection is slow, there's nothing you can do on PostgreSQL or
pgAdmin. If you're using SSL connection, disabling it will have a good
result on performance (but a bad one on security).

What do you exactly mean with connection? when you connect to a server?
when you use pgAdmin? when you launch queries?

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: slowness in the connection

От
"Marie-Claude QUIDOZ"
Дата:
Hello

I find a solution

If I put the IP number (x.x.x.x) instead of the name of the server, the connection is speed.

Thanks

MCQ

Yes It is particulary slow when I want connect me to a server (for example, when I click on "cnx-xxx". -cf file) or
whenI want open a database

A+

MCQ

[pgadmin-support]slowness in the connection

Le 27/09/2010 11:58, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ a écrit :
> Hello
>
> I use 1.12.0 PGAdminIII from a client for seven windows connect to a
> postgres server 8.4.2.1 installed on a Windows 2008 server 32-bit
> server (service pack 2). The connection is extremely slow.
>
> Should we change a parameter in the configuration either Postgres or
> pgAdmin?

If the connection is slow, there's nothing you can do on PostgreSQL or pgAdmin. If you're using SSL connection,
disablingit will have a good result on performance (but a bad one on security).

What do you exactly mean with connection? when you connect to a server?
when you use pgAdmin? when you launch queries?

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: slowness in the connection

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 27/09/2010 17:47, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ a écrit :
> [...]
> I find a solution
>
> If I put the IP number (x.x.x.x) instead of the name of the server, the connection is speed.

Which means you have a DNS resolution issue, not a PostgreSQL or pgAdmin
issue.

You should probably talk to your sysadmin, so that he could check you
DNS config.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

problem with access database

От
"Marie-Claude QUIDOZ"
Дата:
Hello

I use 1.12.0 PGAdminIII from a client for seven windows connect to a postgres server 8.4.2.1 installed on a Windows
2008server 32-bit server (service pack 2).

I want to give access at the database "PicSaintLoup" to user "rihouet"

---------------------

If I configure pg_hba.conf with this line

"host    PicSaintLoup    rihouet        193.49.134.96/32    md5"

I obtain this message
" Error connecting to the server : Fatal : Aucune entrée dans pg_hab.conf pour l'hote "193.49.134.96", utilisateur
"rihouet",base de données "postgres", SSL inactif"

---------------------

If I configure pg_hba.conf with this line

"host    postgres, PicSaintLoup    rihouet        193.49.134.96/32    md5"

It is ok

--------------------

I don't understand why I must make "postgres" in this line ?

Thank you

MCQ

Re: problem with access database

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 01/10/2010 16:20, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ a écrit :
> Hello
>
> I use 1.12.0 PGAdminIII from a client for seven windows connect to a postgres server 8.4.2.1 installed on a Windows
2008server 32-bit server (service pack 2).

> I want to give access at the database "PicSaintLoup" to user "rihouet"
>
> ---------------------
>
> If I configure pg_hba.conf with this line
>
> "host    PicSaintLoup    rihouet        193.49.134.96/32    md5"
>
> I obtain this message
> " Error connecting to the server : Fatal : Aucune entrée dans pg_hab.conf pour l'hote "193.49.134.96", utilisateur
"rihouet",base de données "postgres", SSL inactif"

> ---------------------
>
> If I configure pg_hba.conf with this line
>
> "host    postgres, PicSaintLoup    rihouet        193.49.134.96/32    md5"
>
> It is ok
>
> --------------------
>
> I don't understand why I must make "postgres" in this line ?

By default, pgAdmin connects to the postgres database. With "by default"
I mean that you didn't change the maintenance DB in the server dialog.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: problem with access database

От
"Marie-Claude QUIDOZ"
Дата:
Hello

> By default, pgAdmin connects to the postgres database. With "by default"
> I mean that you didn't change the maintenance DB in the server dialog.

Yes  I haven't change because I don't know what to put. I have the choice between postgres, edb or template1 and I
don'tfind any documentation to help me to understand. I don't understand what is "maintenance DB"

Bye

MCQ

Le 01/10/2010 16:20, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ a écrit :
> Hello
>
> I use 1.12.0 PGAdminIII from a client for seven windows connect to a postgres server 8.4.2.1 installed on a Windows
2008server 32-bit server (service pack 2).

> I want to give access at the database "PicSaintLoup" to user "rihouet"
>
> ---------------------
>
> If I configure pg_hba.conf with this line
>
> "host    PicSaintLoup    rihouet        193.49.134.96/32    md5"
>
> I obtain this message
> " Error connecting to the server : Fatal : Aucune entrée dans pg_hab.conf pour l'hote "193.49.134.96", utilisateur
"rihouet",base de données "postgres", SSL inactif"

> ---------------------
>
> If I configure pg_hba.conf with this line
>
> "host    postgres, PicSaintLoup    rihouet        193.49.134.96/32    md5"
>
> It is ok
>
> --------------------
>
> I don't understand why I must make "postgres" in this line ?

By default, pgAdmin connects to the postgres database. With "by default"
I mean that you didn't change the maintenance DB in the server dialog.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: problem with access database

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 04/10/2010 18:36, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ a écrit :
> Hello
>
>> By default, pgAdmin connects to the postgres database. With "by default"
>> I mean that you didn't change the maintenance DB in the server dialog.
>
> Yes  I haven't change because I don't know what to put. I have the choice between postgres, edb or template1 and I
don'tfind any documentation to help me to understand. I don't understand what is "maintenance DB"

The maintenance database is the first database that pgAdmin will connect
to. pgAdmin needs to connect to at least one database to get the list of
the databases in the server. BTW, you can change what's in the combobox
because the editing is allowed. Just type the name of your database and
it will work.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: problem with access database

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 04/10/2010 17:36, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ wrote:
> Hello
>
>> By default, pgAdmin connects to the postgres database. With "by
>> default" I mean that you didn't change the maintenance DB in the
>> server dialog.
>
> Yes  I haven't change because I don't know what to put. I have the
> choice between postgres, edb or template1 and I don't find any
> documentation to help me to understand. I don't understand what is
> "maintenance DB"

The "maintenance DB" is just a database to which pgAdmin connects by
default, before you click some other one which you're going to work on.
There's nothing special about it - it's usually an empty database.

This is necessary because PostgreSQL doesn't have the concept of just
"connecting to the server" - you *have* to connect to a specific
database as well. In a normal PostgreSQL installation, the "postgres"
database is provided as a convenience for this purpose.

I presume that "edb" is the equivalent in EnterpriseDB - the EDB folks
here will be able to confirm.

"template1" is what was used in older versions of PostgreSQL. However,
template1 is also used as a default template when new databases are
created, so having a separate "postgres" database keeps things tidy.

I hope that this makes sense. :-)

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: problem with access database

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:

> I presume that "edb" is the equivalent in EnterpriseDB - the EDB folks here
> will be able to confirm.

It is.

> "template1" is what was used in older versions of PostgreSQL. However,
> template1 is also used as a default template when new databases are created,
> so having a separate "postgres" database keeps things tidy.

Thats correct.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

problem with copy from on a windows system

От
"Marie-Claude QUIDOZ"
Дата:
Hello

I don't find how i can use the command "copy from" with pgadmin in sql
windows

When i try to execute this command
"copy dico_coordonnee_geographique from 'C:/Dossier de
travail/Temporaire/dico_coordonnee"

I receive this text
" ERREUR: n'a pas pu ouvrir le fichier "C:/Dossier de
travail/Temporaire/dico_coordonnee> pour une lecture : No such file or
directory

It 's ok with psql

Thanks

MCQ

Re: problem with copy from on a windows system

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 25/10/2010 09:54, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ a écrit :
> [...]
> I don't find how i can use the command "copy from" with pgadmin in sql
> windows
>
> When i try to execute this command
> "copy dico_coordonnee_geographique from 'C:/Dossier de
> travail/Temporaire/dico_coordonnee"
>
> I receive this text
> " ERREUR: n'a pas pu ouvrir le fichier "C:/Dossier de
> travail/Temporaire/dico_coordonnee> pour une lecture : No such file or
> directory
>
> It 's ok with psql

Is psql executed from the server and pgAdmin from a desktop PC?

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: problem with copy from on a windows system

От
"Marie-Claude QUIDOZ"
Дата:
Hello

Yes, but both are on windows system

MCQ

Le 25/10/2010 09:54, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ a écrit :
> [...]
> I don't find how i can use the command "copy from" with pgadmin in sql
> windows
>
> When i try to execute this command
> "copy dico_coordonnee_geographique from 'C:/Dossier de
> travail/Temporaire/dico_coordonnee"
>
> I receive this text
> " ERREUR: n'a pas pu ouvrir le fichier "C:/Dossier de
> travail/Temporaire/dico_coordonnee> pour une lecture : No such file or
> directory
>
> It 's ok with psql

Is psql executed from the server and pgAdmin from a desktop PC?

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: problem with copy from on a windows system

От
"Marie-Claude QUIDOZ"
Дата:
Hello

nobody has any idea ?

MCQ

Le 25/10/2010 09:54, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ a écrit :
> [...]
> I don't find how i can use the command "copy from" with pgadmin in sql
> windows
>
> When i try to execute this command
> "copy dico_coordonnee_geographique from 'C:/Dossier de
> travail/Temporaire/dico_coordonnee"
>
> I receive this text
> " ERREUR: n'a pas pu ouvrir le fichier "C:/Dossier de
> travail/Temporaire/dico_coordonnee> pour une lecture : No such file or
> directory
>
> It 's ok with psql

Is psql executed from the server and pgAdmin from a desktop PC?

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: problem with copy from on a windows system

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ
<Marie-Claude.QUIDOZ@cefe.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I don't find how i can use the command "copy from" with pgadmin in sql
> windows
>
> When i try to execute this command
> "copy dico_coordonnee_geographique from 'C:/Dossier de
> travail/Temporaire/dico_coordonnee"
>
> I receive this text
> " ERREUR: n'a pas pu ouvrir le fichier "C:/Dossier de
> travail/Temporaire/dico_coordonnee> pour une lecture : No such file or
> directory

Are you really using COPY, or \COPY ? The latter is a client-side
feature in psql, which won't work in pgAdmin. The former is a
server-side copy, which should work in any interface, but requires the
file to be on the server.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: problem with copy from on a windows system

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 27/10/2010 03:24, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ a écrit :
> [...]
> Yes, but both are on windows system

When you use the COPY command, the file you specify must be on the
PostgreSQL server. When you use \copy from psql, the file must be on the
computer where you execute the \copy command.

If you use the copy command, then the file wasn't available on the
server when you launched the copy command.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com