Re: problem with access database

От Raymond O'Donnell
Тема Re: problem with access database
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On 04/10/2010 17:36, Marie-Claude QUIDOZ wrote:
> Hello
>
>> By default, pgAdmin connects to the postgres database. With "by
>> default" I mean that you didn't change the maintenance DB in the
>> server dialog.
>
> Yes  I haven't change because I don't know what to put. I have the
> choice between postgres, edb or template1 and I don't find any
> documentation to help me to understand. I don't understand what is
> "maintenance DB"

The "maintenance DB" is just a database to which pgAdmin connects by
default, before you click some other one which you're going to work on.
There's nothing special about it - it's usually an empty database.

This is necessary because PostgreSQL doesn't have the concept of just
"connecting to the server" - you *have* to connect to a specific
database as well. In a normal PostgreSQL installation, the "postgres"
database is provided as a convenience for this purpose.

I presume that "edb" is the equivalent in EnterpriseDB - the EDB folks
here will be able to confirm.

"template1" is what was used in older versions of PostgreSQL. However,
template1 is also used as a default template when new databases are
created, so having a separate "postgres" database keeps things tidy.

I hope that this makes sense. :-)

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Сообщение: Re: problem with access database
Сообщение: Re: problem with access database