Обсуждение: Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

От
"Ryan Daniels"
Дата:

Re: Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

От
"Fernando Hevia"
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:17 AM, Ryan Daniels <<a
class="gmail_quote"style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><br
/>Iwould like to request that the SQL query window have tabs so that you can have multiple queries/files open in the
Andalso an option/setting to filter server context messages.<br />Doable or not, I want to thank the developers for

Re: Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

От
Chris St Denis
Дата:
Fernando Hevia wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:b9e2597c0806241438w5aab4a19l420af580a6f64a4f@mail.gmail.com"
type="cite">OnTue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:17 AM, Ryan Daniels <<a href="mailto:ryan.daniels@gmail.com"
class="gmail_quote"style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><br
/>I would like to request that the SQL query window have tabs so that you can have multiple queries/files open in the
Andalso an option/setting to filter server context messages.<br /> Doable or not, I want to thank the developers for
moregraceful handling of disconnects. <br /><br /> Once of my servers I connect to through a firewall. The firewall
connectioneventually times out causing a disconnect that pgadmin doesn't handle very happily. Would be nice for it to
justreconnect transparently without closing all of the tree, popping up several errors, etc. <br /><br /> Or just

Chris St Denis
Programmer
SmarttNet (<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.smartt.com">www.smartt.com</a>)
Ph: 604-473-9700 Ext. 200
"Smart Internet Solutions For Businesses" </pre>

Re: Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Ryan Daniels a écrit :

> I would like to request that the SQL query window have tabs so that you
> can have multiple queries/files open in the same window.

I think it could be a great idea. Don't know if it's really feasible but
I like the idea.

--
Guillaume. http://www.postgresqlfr.org http://dalibo.com

Re: Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Ryan Daniels a écrit :
>>
>> I would like to request that the SQL query window have tabs so that you
>> can have multiple queries/files open in the same window.
>>

> I think it could be a great idea. Don't know if it's really feasible but I
> like the idea.

Seems like it would be a lot of work. You'd need to seperate all the
query code out into a seperate class that you could instantiate aas
required on new tabs, and modify all the window options such that they
affect all tabs, or work with just the selected one as appropriate
(think 'Show line endings' vs. 'EOL Mode).

It would also look pretty weird as we will be adding tabs to the text
control soon anyway to handle the query builder, so we'll end up with
two sets of tabs on a tabset.

I'm happy to review patches though if someone wants to put some effort into it.

--
Dave Page

Re: Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

От
"Ryan Daniels"

Most of the query writing software I have worked with is tab-based. This seems like a natural point in the evolution of pgAdmin. :-)

On 6/26/08, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Ryan Daniels a écrit :
>>
>> I would like to request that the SQL query window have tabs so that you
>> can have multiple queries/files open in the same window.
>>

> I think it could be a great idea. Don't know if it's really feasible but I
> like the idea.

Seems like it would be a lot of work. You'd need to seperate all the
query code out into a seperate class that you could instantiate aas
required on new tabs, and modify all the window options such that they
affect all tabs, or work with just the selected one as appropriate
(think 'Show line endings' vs. 'EOL Mode).

It would also look pretty weird as we will be adding tabs to the text
control soon anyway to handle the query builder, so we'll end up with
two sets of tabs on a tabset.

I'm happy to review patches though if someone wants to put some effort into it.

--
Dave Page

Re: Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Ryan Daniels a écrit :
>>> I would like to request that the SQL query window have tabs so that you
>>> can have multiple queries/files open in the same window.
>>>
>> I think it could be a great idea. Don't know if it's really feasible but I
>> like the idea.
>
> Seems like it would be a lot of work. You'd need to seperate all the
> query code out into a seperate class that you could instantiate aas
> required on new tabs, and modify all the window options such that they
> affect all tabs, or work with just the selected one as appropriate
> (think 'Show line endings' vs. 'EOL Mode).
>
> It would also look pretty weird as we will be adding tabs to the text
> control soon anyway to handle the query builder, so we'll end up with
> two sets of tabs on a tabset.

I wasn't aware of this (adding the tab on the text control). This would
be enough.

--
Guillaume. http://www.postgresqlfr.org http://dalibo.com

Re: Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> I think it could be a great idea. Don't know if it's really feasible but
>>> like the idea.
>>
>> Seems like it would be a lot of work. You'd need to seperate all the
>> query code out into a seperate class that you could instantiate aas
>> required on new tabs, and modify all the window options such that they
>> affect all tabs, or work with just the selected one as appropriate
>> (think 'Show line endings' vs. 'EOL Mode).
>>
>> It would also look pretty weird as we will be adding tabs to the text
>> control soon anyway to handle the query builder, so we'll end up with
>> two sets of tabs on a tabset.
>>

> I wasn't aware of this (adding the tab on the text control). This would be
> enough.

You misunderstand - there will be two tabs; the text control and the
query builder.

--
Dave Page

Re: Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

От
"Ryan Daniels"
Дата:
href="mailto:dpage@pgadmin.org">dpage@pgadmin.org</a>>wrote:<br /><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div class="Ih2E3d">On
Wed,Jun 25, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Guillaume Lelarge<br /> <<a
work.You'd need to seperate all the<br /> query code out into a seperate class that you could instantiate aas<br />
requiredon new tabs, and modify all the window options such that they<br /> affect all tabs, or work with just the
aswe will be adding tabs to the text<br /> control soon anyway to handle the query builder, so we'll end up with<br />
twosets of tabs on a tabset.<br /><br /> I'm happy to review patches though if someone wants to put some effort into

Re: Wish List Request: Tabbed SQL Query Window

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Ryan Daniels <ryan.daniels@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> What if the per-text-coltrol tabs were at the bottom of the region, and the
> per-file tabs were at the top?

Not all OS's support that iirc (for example, Windows XP under uxtheme
if memory serves), but I don't think that's a showstopper - just
something to be aware of as it may be confusing without some
additional redesign.

--
Dave Page