Обсуждение: Binaries of PGAdmin3 for RHEL5

Binaries of PGAdmin3 for RHEL5

От
Josh
Дата:
Hello,

If anyone would like to beta test a binary of PGAdmin 1.6.3, for RHEL5-32,
please drop me a line.  I'm in the process of setting up an online repository
for the RPM's but I can put them up in a day or so for people to download.

Thanks,
-J

Re: Binaries of PGAdmin3 for RHEL5

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hello,

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 06:16 -0400, Josh wrote:
> If anyone would like to beta test a binary of PGAdmin 1.6.3, for
> RHEL5-32, please drop me a line.

Use Fedora 6 RPMs that are at our FTP site. They are working on RHEL 5.
No need to build a seperate one.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Binaries of PGAdmin3 for RHEL5

От
Josh
Дата:
> Use Fedora 6 RPMs that are at our FTP site. They are working on RHEL 5.
> No need to build a seperate one.

Devrim,

A few things I noticed while perusing these packages.  Let me know if I'm
looking in the wrong place (pgadmin.org download page):

1. The latest binary is 1.6.2; how important are the improvements in   1.6.3?

2. The README states that, "To use pgadmin3 RPM on Fedora Core 6, you will   need to install the wx 2.8.0 packages that
arein wx/ directory. This   *may* break applications that are built against wx 2.6. Use at your own   risk."  Can
someoneinstall later wx packages?

There are a few considerations I used when packaging 1.6.3.  First, in my
obsession with keeping system directories uncluttered, I've compiled (and
will package) wx 2.8.4 and pgadmin 1.6.3 to go under their own directories
under /opt.  So, if there are any wx 2.6 libraries under /usr/lib or
/usr/local/lib, they won't be disturbed.  (In any case, the wx libraries
all have 2.8 in their filenames, so theoretically there shouldn't be any
collisions...)

Cheers,
-J

Re: Binaries of PGAdmin3 for RHEL5

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hello,

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 09:37 -0400, Josh wrote:
> . The latest binary is 1.6.2; how important are the improvements in
>     1.6.3?

No, it is 1.6.3:

ftp://ftp.tr.postgresql.org/pub/PostgreSQL/pgadmin3/release/v1.6.3/fedora-core-6

> 2. The README states that, "To use pgadmin3 RPM on Fedora Core 6, you
> will need to install the wx 2.8.0 packages that are in wx/ directory.
> This *may* break applications that are built against wx 2.6. Use at
> your own risk."  Can someone install later wx packages?

ftp://ftp.tr.postgresql.org/pub/PostgreSQL/pgadmin3/release/v1.6.3/fedora-core-6/wx

You may install these ones, and since this has a higher release number,
noone can install the older version (of course, one can remove these and
install fc wx packages)

> There are a few considerations I used when packaging 1.6.3.  First, in
> my  obsession with keeping system directories uncluttered, I've
> compiled (and will package) wx 2.8.4 and pgadmin 1.6.3 to go under
> their own directories under /opt.  So, if there are any wx 2.6
> libraries under /usr/lib or/usr/local/lib, they won't be disturbed.
> (In any case, the wx libraries all have 2.8 in their filenames, so
> theoretically there shouldn't be any collisions...)

Even though it is up to you, I would not do that. I *do* stick packaging
guidelines of Fedora. Also it should not matter whether you install or
not -- wx "RPM" that will go under /opt will conflict with FC "RPM".

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Binaries of PGAdmin3 for RHEL5

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi.

> > . The latest binary is 1.6.2; how important are the improvements in
> >     1.6.3?
>
> No, it is 1.6.3:
>
> ftp://ftp.tr.postgresql.org/pub/PostgreSQL/pgadmin3/release/v1.6.3/fedora-core-6

Ooops, sorry,
We have forgotten updating.! It was updated now. :-)

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Binaries of PGAdmin3 for RHEL5

От
Marcin Zajączkowski
Дата:
On 2007-06-12 19:38, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
(...)
>> 2. The README states that, "To use pgadmin3 RPM on Fedora Core 6, you
>> will need to install the wx 2.8.0 packages that are in wx/ directory.
>> This *may* break applications that are built against wx 2.6. Use at
>> your own risk."  Can someone install later wx packages?
>
> ftp://ftp.tr.postgresql.org/pub/PostgreSQL/pgadmin3/release/v1.6.3/fedora-core-6/wx
>
> You may install these ones, and since this has a higher release number,
> noone can install the older version (of course, one can remove these and
> install fc wx packages)
>
>> There are a few considerations I used when packaging 1.6.3.  First, in
>> my  obsession with keeping system directories uncluttered, I've
>> compiled (and will package) wx 2.8.4 and pgadmin 1.6.3 to go under
>> their own directories under /opt.  So, if there are any wx 2.6
>> libraries under /usr/lib or/usr/local/lib, they won't be disturbed.
>> (In any case, the wx libraries all have 2.8 in their filenames, so
>> theoretically there shouldn't be any collisions...)
>
> Even though it is up to you, I would not do that. I *do* stick packaging
> guidelines of Fedora. Also it should not matter whether you install or
> not -- wx "RPM" that will go under /opt will conflict with FC "RPM".

Hi,

To workaround a problem with conflict of wxWidgets packages in FC6 I
recompiled wxWidgets from FC7/devel repository and changed the name of a
package. Now I have:
[marcinz@bolger ~]$ rpm -qa | grep wxGTK
wxGTK28-devel-2.8.3-3.fc6
wxGTK-2.6.3-2.6.3.2.3.fc6
wxGTK28-2.8.3-3.fc6
compat-wxGTK-common-2.4.2-21.fc6
compat-wxGTK-2.4.2-21.fc6
wxGTK28-gl-2.8.3-3.fc6

pgadmin 1.6.3 package rebuilt from SRPM for F7 works fine (wxGTK28
provides wxGTK-2.8 and libs can lay in the same directory - they have
different numbers).
The problem could be that you have to compile wxWidgets from sources
which takes a lot of disk space (and time).

Regards
Marcin