Обсуждение: Mac version can't dump/restore

Mac version can't dump/restore

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
I get this error when trying to dump a database:

/Applications/pgAdmin3.app/Contents/SharedSupport/helper/pg_dump -i -
h localhost -p 5432 -U user -F c -b -v -f "/temp/test" test
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.4.dylib  Referenced from:
/Applications/pgAdmin3.app/Contents/SharedSupport/

helper/pg_dump  Reason: image not found

Process returned exit code -1.

The problem is the pg_dump utility hard codes the path of libpq. This
is not very workable because not only can that be customized, some
one using pgAdmin might not have PostgreSQL installed at all on the
local machine.

Here is how I setup pgEdit on the Mac which may be a good solution.

1. Put libpq.dylib in the same folder with pg_dump/pg_restore and
include it in the distribution.
2. Use install_name_tool on each postgresql executable to have it
reference the library relative to the executable folder. Example:

install_name_tool -change /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.4.dylib
@executable_path/libpq.4.1.dylib pg_restore

Also, I noticed that the pgAdmin package has PkgInfo at the same
level as the Contents folder. I thought it should be in the Contents
folder.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Mac version can't dump/restore

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Thanks John - I'll look into this when I have my Mac to hand.

Gotta say I'm slightly surprised to see you here offering advice, though
of course you're more than welcome :-)

Regards. Dave.

Дата:
On Mar 17, 2006, at 3:14 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> Gotta say I'm slightly surprised to see you here offering advice,
> though
> of course you're more than welcome :-)

Well, some may see it as I'm helping my primary (and free)
competition. Although I certainly need a number of features that
pgAdmin already has, after I get those done I'll be focusing on
things that I don't expect will be in pgAdmin any time soon. I'm much
more interested in tools to support complex database application
development. For me, pgAdmin's model of big lists of objects in
alphabetical order does not support this very well.

But pgAdmin is a very nice administration tool and I'm happy to help
where I can. If I have a good tool for administration, I can spend
more time working on other features I would like to have for
application development.

Thanks for your continued efforts and especially for supporting the Mac.

John

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Mac version can't dump/restore

От
"Dave Page"

Hmm, yes - it seems the build script was assuming GNU xargs, whereas on
the build machine I have the standard BSDish one. I've added some
detection code to the script so it should work with either now.

> Also, I noticed that the pgAdmin package has PkgInfo at the same
> level as the Contents folder. I thought it should be in the Contents
> folder.

Yup, quite correct from what I can see in the Apple docs.

Thanks for the reports - fixes will be committed shortly.

Regards, Dave

Re: Mac version can't dump/restore

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
Hi Dave,

On Mar 20, 2006, at 6:30 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> Hmm, yes - it seems the build script was assuming GNU xargs,
> whereas on
> the build machine I have the standard BSDish one. I've added some
> detection code to the script so it should work with either now.

So why do this rather than include libpq in the package so there is
no path dependency at all? I thought this is what you are doing on
Windows already.

Just curious.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Mac version can't dump/restore

От
"Dave Page"

We already did basically what you suggested as part of the install
process when building an appbundle - the problem was that the script
that locates and copies in the libraries was failing due to the xargs
bug. The error message simply went unnoticed in the other reams of
output that make install spews out, and because I normally statically
link wx, it only affected people who didn't have a local install of
PostgreSQL which is presumably fairly rare. Of course, that begs the
question, why isn't PostgreSQL being statically linked as well, but
that's a whole other issue.

The script is at
http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/pgadmin3/pkg/mac/comple
te-bundle.sh?rev=5055&view=markup if you want a peek.

Regards, Dave.