Обсуждение: Using PGAdmin with a screen reader

Using PGAdmin with a screen reader

От
"Torma Zsolt"
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm a blind computer expert and i'm using a screen reader called JAWS for
Windows (http://www.freedomscientific.com).

Almost all of the PGAdmin functions can be used with JAWS, but the window
that contains the SQL statements isn't accessible: JAWS doesn't recognize
the cursor (or insertion point) when I move it from character to character,
or from line to line.

By default, JAWS can handle the standard Windows controls (edit fields, list
boxes, etc.), but with a feature, I can reclass a non-standard control, so
JAWS can handle the non-standard control as a standard control.

For example, I've tried to reclass the window that contains the SQL
statement to edit field, but I still have the same problem.

A solution would be a standard edit field if possible.

If you have an idea to solve this problem, please let me know!

--
Regards:
Zsolt

Re: Using PGAdmin with a screen reader

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Zsolt,

Which SQL window do you mean? There is one on the main form that
displays the definition for the selected object, one for entering
arbitrary SQL statements to execute, and one on most property dialogues,
displaying the SQL that will be executed to implement the changes made
to the object properties.

If I remember correctly, they all use the same control, but each
instance may not be used in the same way.

Regards, Dave

Re: Using PGAdmin with a screen reader

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Torma Zsolt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a blind computer expert and i'm using a screen reader called JAWS for
> Windows (http://www.freedomscientific.com).
>
> Almost all of the PGAdmin functions can be used with JAWS, but the window
> that contains the SQL statements isn't accessible: JAWS doesn't recognize
> the cursor (or insertion point) when I move it from character to character,
> or from line to line.
>
> By default, JAWS can handle the standard Windows controls (edit fields, list
> boxes, etc.), but with a feature, I can reclass a non-standard control, so
> JAWS can handle the non-standard control as a standard control.
>
> For example, I've tried to reclass the window that contains the SQL
> statement to edit field, but I still have the same problem.
>
> A solution would be a standard edit field if possible.

Well, the advantage of pgAdmin is that it does *not* use a standard edit
field, providing syntax highlighting.
What's in use is the Scintilla control (www.scintilla.org). According to
your description, you should have the same problem with with the SciTE
editor, which was meant as demonstration. Please check there, apparently
the controls need some fixing. If it's fixed there, it has to be updated
in the wxWidgets project, and will eventually be used in pgAdmin as
well. Apparently you'll have to be very patient.

Alternatively, you could hack the pgAdmin sources, modifying the class
ctlSQLBox which is currently derived from wxStyledTextCtrl (wx' name for
Scintilla). You could change that to wxTextCtrl, but you'd have to
implement some wxSTC methods (many just have different names, others are
no-ops for wxTextCtrl).

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Using PGAdmin with a screen reader

От
"Dave Page"

Oh dear. In that case it sounds like a Scintilla problem as Andreas has
suggested in his response. Can you try a recent version of Scite and see
if that works?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Using PGAdmin with a screen reader

От
"Torma Zsolt"
Дата:
Hi all,

I've downloaded the SciTE editor and it's work fine with JAWS.

Any other idea?

--
Regards:
Zsolt

Re: Using PGAdmin with a screen reader

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Torma Zsolt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've downloaded the SciTE editor and it's work fine with JAWS.
>
> Any other idea?

wxWidgets currently includes Scintilla 1.61, while on the Scintilla
website the last version is 1.62. And it is announced as

"Version 1.62 (..) is more supportive of screen reader applications on
Windows." According to the release notes, your problem is fixed.

I'll post on wx-dev the proposal to update to 1.62.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Using PGAdmin with a screen reader

От