Обсуждение: PIP Package Building for pgAdmin4

PIP Package Building for pgAdmin4

От
Muhammad Aqeel
Дата:
Hi,

PFA the patch to build PIP package for pgAdmin4 web component. It builds PIP wheel file based on Python version in PATH.

This pip package build setup is supported for python version 2.6 and above. The pip package can easily be built with a make statement.

Makefile has following targets.
  - install-required: To install packages required to build PIP package.
  - all: To build PIP package
  - install-pip: To install built PIP package
  - clean: To clean the sources.

setup_pgadmin4.py file contains all the Meta information needed to build the PIP package.

The version for the pip package is picked up from web/config.py file.

--Aqeel
Вложения

Re: PIP Package Building for pgAdmin4

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Muhammad Aqeel
<muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PFA the patch to build PIP package for pgAdmin4 web component. It builds PIP
> wheel file based on Python version in PATH.
>
> This pip package build setup is supported for python version 2.6 and above.
> The pip package can easily be built with a make statement.
>
> Makefile has following targets.
>   - install-required: To install packages required to build PIP package.
>   - all: To build PIP package
>   - install-pip: To install built PIP package
>   - clean: To clean the sources.

Let's try to keep the Makefile target names specific to what we're
building, e.g.

install-pip-requirements: To install packages required to build PIP
package (not sure that's the best name though)
install-pip: To install built PIP package
pip: To build the PIP package

Eventually the "all"  target will likely build the runtime and maybe
other packages as well, so for now, it should probably look something
like:

all: install-pip-requirements pip

Similarly, "clean" will eventually do other things too, so we can
create "clean-pip", which can be called with other further clean
targets by "clean".

> setup_pgadmin4.py file contains all the Meta information needed to build the
> PIP package.

I think that should be moved to pkg/pip, where it can later live
alongside directories like win32, osx and rpm etc. Would setup_pip.py
be a better name as well?

> The version for the pip package is picked up from web/config.py file.

Urgh - don't try to parse that file from a Python script. It's a
Python script itself, so you can just import it - e.g.

import config
version = config.APP_VERSION

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PIP Package Building for pgAdmin4

От
Muhammad Aqeel
Дата:
PFA the updated patch.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Muhammad Aqeel
<muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PFA the patch to build PIP package for pgAdmin4 web component. It builds PIP
> wheel file based on Python version in PATH.
>
> This pip package build setup is supported for python version 2.6 and above.
> The pip package can easily be built with a make statement.
>
> Makefile has following targets.
>   - install-required: To install packages required to build PIP package.
>   - all: To build PIP package
>   - install-pip: To install built PIP package
>   - clean: To clean the sources.

Let's try to keep the Makefile target names specific to what we're
building, e.g.

install-pip-requirements: To install packages required to build PIP
package (not sure that's the best name though)
install-pip: To install built PIP package
pip: To build the PIP package

Done.

Eventually the "all"  target will likely build the runtime and maybe
other packages as well, so for now, it should probably look something
like:

all: install-pip-requirements pip

Done.

Similarly, "clean" will eventually do other things too, so we can
create "clean-pip", which can be called with other further clean
targets by "clean".

Done.

> setup_pgadmin4.py file contains all the Meta information needed to build the
> PIP package.

I think that should be moved to pkg/pip, where it can later live
alongside directories like win32, osx and rpm etc. Would setup_pip.py
be a better name as well?

Done.

> The version for the pip package is picked up from web/config.py file.

Urgh - don't try to parse that file from a Python script. It's a
Python script itself, so you can just import it - e.g.

import config
version = config.APP_VERSION

Done.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: PIP Package Building for pgAdmin4

От
Dave Page
Дата:
EBROKENPATCH

(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ git apply
~/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch
/Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:41: trailing whitespace.
python pkg/pip/setup_pip.py bdist_wheel
/Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:45: trailing whitespace.
all: install-pip-requirements pip
/Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:47: trailing whitespace.
install-pip-requirements:
/Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:59: trailing whitespace.
pip:
/Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:73: trailing whitespace.
fi
error: Makefile: No such file or directory
error: pkg/pip/setup_pip.py: No such file or directory

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Muhammad Aqeel
<muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> PFA the updated patch.
>
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Muhammad Aqeel
>> <muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > PFA the patch to build PIP package for pgAdmin4 web component. It builds
>> > PIP
>> > wheel file based on Python version in PATH.
>> >
>> > This pip package build setup is supported for python version 2.6 and
>> > above.
>> > The pip package can easily be built with a make statement.
>> >
>> > Makefile has following targets.
>> >   - install-required: To install packages required to build PIP package.
>> >   - all: To build PIP package
>> >   - install-pip: To install built PIP package
>> >   - clean: To clean the sources.
>>
>> Let's try to keep the Makefile target names specific to what we're
>> building, e.g.
>>
>> install-pip-requirements: To install packages required to build PIP
>> package (not sure that's the best name though)
>> install-pip: To install built PIP package
>> pip: To build the PIP package
>

> Done.
>>

>> Eventually the "all"  target will likely build the runtime and maybe
>> other packages as well, so for now, it should probably look something
>> like:
>>
>> all: install-pip-requirements pip
>

> Done.
>>

>> Similarly, "clean" will eventually do other things too, so we can
>> create "clean-pip", which can be called with other further clean
>> targets by "clean".
>

> Done.
>

>> > setup_pgadmin4.py file contains all the Meta information needed to build
>> > the
>> > PIP package.
>>
>> I think that should be moved to pkg/pip, where it can later live
>> alongside directories like win32, osx and rpm etc. Would setup_pip.py
>> be a better name as well?
>

> Done.
>

>> > The version for the pip package is picked up from web/config.py file.
>>
>> Urgh - don't try to parse that file from a Python script. It's a
>> Python script itself, so you can just import it - e.g.
>>
>> import config
>> version = config.APP_VERSION
>

> Done.
>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake

>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PIP Package Building for pgAdmin4

От
Muhammad Aqeel
Дата:
Sorry for broken patch.
PFA the corrected patch.

--Aqeel

> [...]

>> like:
>>
>> all: install-pip-requirements pip
>

> Done.
>>

>> Similarly, "clean" will eventually do other things too, so we can
>> create "clean-pip", which can be called with other further clean
>> targets by "clean".
>

> Done.
>

>> > setup_pgadmin4.py file contains all the Meta information needed to build
>> > the
>> > PIP package.
>>
>> I think that should be moved to pkg/pip, where it can later live
>> alongside directories like win32, osx and rpm etc. Would setup_pip.py
>> be a better name as well?
>

> Done.
>

>> > The version for the pip package is picked up from web/config.py file.
>>
>> Urgh - don't try to parse that file from a Python script. It's a
>> Python script itself, so you can just import it - e.g.

Дата:
Thanks - committed with some minor tweaks:

- Avoid packaging *.pyc and pgadmin4.db
- Add some more keywords
- Minor re-arrangement of setup_pip.py and the Makefile.

Thanks again!

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Muhammad Aqeel
<muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Sorry for broken patch.
> PFA the corrected patch.
>
> --Aqeel
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> EBROKENPATCH
>>
>> (pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ git apply
>> ~/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:41: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> python pkg/pip/setup_pip.py bdist_wheel
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:45: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> all: install-pip-requirements pip
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:47: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> install-pip-requirements:
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:59: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> pip:
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:73: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> fi
>> error: Makefile: No such file or directory
>> error: pkg/pip/setup_pip.py: No such file or directory
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Muhammad Aqeel
>> <muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> > PFA the updated patch.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake

>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PIP Package Building for pgAdmin4

От
Muhammad Aqeel
Дата:
Thanks Dave.

--Aqeel

Thanks - committed with some minor tweaks:

- Avoid packaging *.pyc and pgadmin4.db
- Add some more keywords
- Minor re-arrangement of setup_pip.py and the Makefile.

Thanks again!

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Muhammad Aqeel
<muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Sorry for broken patch.
> PFA the corrected patch.
>
> --Aqeel
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> EBROKENPATCH
>>
>> (pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ git apply
>> ~/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:41: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> python pkg/pip/setup_pip.py bdist_wheel
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:45: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> all: install-pip-requirements pip
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:47: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> install-pip-requirements:
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:59: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> pip:
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:73: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> fi
>> error: Makefile: No such file or directory
>> error: pkg/pip/setup_pip.py: No such file or directory
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Muhammad Aqeel
>> <muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> > PFA the updated patch.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake

>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PIP Package Building for pgAdmin4

От
Muhammad Aqeel
Дата:
Hi Dave,

I tested the build after your commit. There were minor bugs in your changes which prevented the packaging of pgadmin4 sources.

- It needed a space after * in recursive include statement of manifest.in
- \n is not interpreted as new line.

I fixed both issues in attached patch and tested the build. It is working fine now and pgadmin4.egg-info/SOURCES.txt showing no .pyc file and pgadmin4.db file in it.

--Aqeel

Thanks - committed with some minor tweaks:

- Avoid packaging *.pyc and pgadmin4.db
- Add some more keywords
- Minor re-arrangement of setup_pip.py and the Makefile.

Thanks again!

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Muhammad Aqeel
<muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Sorry for broken patch.
> PFA the corrected patch.
>
> --Aqeel
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> EBROKENPATCH
>>
>> (pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ git apply
>> ~/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:41: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> python pkg/pip/setup_pip.py bdist_wheel
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:45: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> all: install-pip-requirements pip
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:47: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> install-pip-requirements:
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:59: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> pip:
>> /Users/dpage/Downloads/pgadmin4_pip_framework_v5.patch:73: trailing
>> whitespace.
>> fi
>> error: Makefile: No such file or directory
>> error: pkg/pip/setup_pip.py: No such file or directory
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Muhammad Aqeel
>> <muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> > PFA the updated patch.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> > Done.

>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake

>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: PIP Package Building for pgAdmin4

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Muhammad Aqeel
<muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I tested the build after your commit. There were minor bugs in your changes
> which prevented the packaging of pgadmin4 sources.
>
> - It needed a space after * in recursive include statement of manifest.in
> - \n is not interpreted as new line.
>
> I fixed both issues in attached patch and tested the build. It is working
> fine now and pgadmin4.egg-info/SOURCES.txt showing no .pyc file and
> pgadmin4.db file in it.

Weird - as discussed, I tested it thoroughly before committing and it
works fine.

Testing with this patch though, I see the original problem (and also,
so warnings - can you check them please)?

(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ git reset --hard
HEAD is now at dc64160 Add a top level Makefile with a target and
appropriate Python stuff to build a PIP package of the web code.
(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ make pip 1> /dev/null
/Users/dpage/.virtualenvs/pgadmin4/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py:285:
UserWarning: Normalizing '1.0.0-dev' to '1.0.0.dev0'
  normalized_version,
package init file 'pgadmin4/__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)
warning: manifest_maker: standard file 'setup_pip.py' not found

warning: build_py: byte-compiling is disabled, skipping.

warning: install_lib: byte-compiling is disabled, skipping.

(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ grep pgadmin4.db
pgadmin4.egg-info/SOURCES.txt |wc -l
       0
(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ grep pyc pgadmin4.egg-info/SOURCES.txt |wc -l
       0
(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ git apply ~/Downloads/manifest_bug_fix.patch
(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ make pip 1> /dev/null
/Users/dpage/.virtualenvs/pgadmin4/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py:285:
UserWarning: Normalizing '1.0.0-dev' to '1.0.0.dev0'
  normalized_version,
package init file 'pgadmin4/__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)
warning: manifest_maker: standard file 'setup_pip.py' not found

warning: build_py: byte-compiling is disabled, skipping.

warning: install_lib: byte-compiling is disabled, skipping.

(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ grep pgadmin4.db
pgadmin4.egg-info/SOURCES.txt |wc -l
       1
(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ grep pyc pgadmin4.egg-info/SOURCES.txt |wc -l
      84

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PIP Package Building for pgAdmin4

От
Muhammad Aqeel
Дата:
Hi Dave,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 7:06 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Muhammad Aqeel
<muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I tested the build after your commit. There were minor bugs in your changes
> which prevented the packaging of pgadmin4 sources.
>
> - It needed a space after * in recursive include statement of manifest.in
> - \n is not interpreted as new line.
>
> I fixed both issues in attached patch and tested the build. It is working
> fine now and pgadmin4.egg-info/SOURCES.txt showing no .pyc file and
> pgadmin4.db file in it.

Weird - as discussed, I tested it thoroughly before committing and it
works fine.

PFA the new patch which contains following changes.

- It just replaces the @echo to @printf in your changed line to fix the issue. I tested it on both Linux and OSX. It is working fine.

- In your commit you had changed 'PGADMIN_DIST = dist' to 'PGADMIN_DIST = build'. dist directory is generated by pip setuptools to have generated wheel file so it is needed. I made it again 'PGADMIN_DIST = dist'. If you don't want to remove it in clean-pip target then you can remove the rm command from clean-pip target.

- In case user runs make twice without cleaning the source it was copying the web directory to existing pgadmin4 source directory. I fixed this issue too.

Testing with this patch though, I see the original problem (and also,
so warnings - can you check them please)?

(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ git reset --hard
HEAD is now at dc64160 Add a top level Makefile with a target and
appropriate Python stuff to build a PIP package of the web code.
(pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ make pip 1> /dev/null
/Users/dpage/.virtualenvs/pgadmin4/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py:285:
UserWarning: Normalizing '1.0.0-dev' to '1.0.0.dev0'
  normalized_version,

It is an issue with PEP440 which interprets version as integer and if sees any string in it, it tries to normalise it. Here is the link which explains it.

It is coming with Python 2.6 only. With Python 2.7 and above it is not there.

package init file 'pgadmin4/__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)

This is because in web directory we don't have __init__.py file.

warning: manifest_maker: standard file 'setup_pip.py' not found

setuptools by default look for setup_pip.py file in current directory. Since we placed this file in pkg/pip (according to your suggestion) this warning is coming.

warning: build_py: byte-compiling is disabled, skipping.

warning: install_lib: byte-compiling is disabled, skipping.

I have not faced this issue but following link suggests a solution for it.

It says "Setting export VIRTUALENV_USE_DISTRIBUTE=1 fixed the problem."

[...]

Дата:
Hi

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 6:23 AM, Muhammad Aqeel
<muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 7:06 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Muhammad Aqeel
>> <muhammad.aqeel@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Dave,
>> >
>> > I tested the build after your commit. There were minor bugs in your
>> > changes
>> > which prevented the packaging of pgadmin4 sources.
>> >
>> > - It needed a space after * in recursive include statement of
>> > manifest.in
>> > - \n is not interpreted as new line.
>> >
>> > I fixed both issues in attached patch and tested the build. It is
>> > working
>> > fine now and pgadmin4.egg-info/SOURCES.txt showing no .pyc file and
>> > pgadmin4.db file in it.
>>
>> Weird - as discussed, I tested it thoroughly before committing and it
>> works fine.
>

> PFA the new patch which contains following changes.
>
> - It just replaces the @echo to @printf in your changed line to fix the
> issue. I tested it on both Linux and OSX. It is working fine.

Looks good to me - committed.

> - In your commit you had changed 'PGADMIN_DIST = dist' to 'PGADMIN_DIST =
> build'. dist directory is generated by pip setuptools to have generated
> wheel file so it is needed. I made it again 'PGADMIN_DIST = dist'. If you
> don't want to remove it in clean-pip target then you can remove the rm
> command from clean-pip target.

Urgh. It might be nice if we can put all those directories in one
place, like pip-temp/ or something more sensible. Either way, it's no
big issue.

> - In case user runs make twice without cleaning the source it was copying
> the web directory to existing pgadmin4 source directory. I fixed this issue
> too.

OK, thanks.

>> Testing with this patch though, I see the original problem (and also,
>> so warnings - can you check them please)?
>>
>> (pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ git reset --hard
>> HEAD is now at dc64160 Add a top level Makefile with a target and
>> appropriate Python stuff to build a PIP package of the web code.
>> (pgadmin4)piranha:pgAdmin4 dpage$ make pip 1> /dev/null
>>
>> /Users/dpage/.virtualenvs/pgadmin4/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py:285:
>> UserWarning: Normalizing '1.0.0-dev' to '1.0.0.dev0'
>>   normalized_version,
>

> It is an issue with PEP440 which interprets version as integer and if sees
> any string in it, it tries to normalise it. Here is the link which explains
> it.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/issues/302/setuptools-8-strips-leading-zeros-in
>
> It is coming with Python 2.6 only. With Python 2.7 and above it is not
> there.

Weird - I have 2.7...

>> package init file 'pgadmin4/__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)
>

> This is because in web directory we don't have __init__.py file.
>

>> warning: manifest_maker: standard file 'setup_pip.py' not found
>

> setuptools by default look for setup_pip.py file in current directory. Since
> we placed this file in pkg/pip (according to your suggestion) this warning
> is coming.
>

>> warning: build_py: byte-compiling is disabled, skipping.
>>
>> warning: install_lib: byte-compiling is disabled, skipping.
>

> I have not faced this issue but following link suggests a solution for it.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7194299/cannot-create-new-virtualenv-in-lion
>
> It says "Setting export VIRTUALENV_USE_DISTRIBUTE=1 fixed the problem."

Oh - that's probably because I have "export PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE=1"
in my profile.

No worries - thanks!