Обсуждение: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Nikhil S
Дата:
Hi,

If one clicks on Postgres (non EDB) database and tries to expand the schema tab, then the current git head spits out an error. The offending query contains the following comparison

protype = 1;

protype is of type char, so it expects the RHS to be a char. However this works ok against an EDB database. Anyways, the fix is to compare protype with '1'. This sql works fine on both flavours of databases. Fixing this at all relevant locations.

Regards,
Nikhils
Вложения

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 07/02/2011 13:01, Nikhil S a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> If one clicks on Postgres (non EDB) database and tries to expand the schema
> tab, then the current git head spits out an error. The offending query
> contains the following comparison
>
> protype = 1;
>
> protype is of type char, so it expects the RHS to be a char. However this
> works ok against an EDB database. Anyways, the fix is to compare protype
> with '1'. This sql works fine on both flavours of databases. Fixing this at
> all relevant locations.

I"m not sure I understand. You first said that the bug is on regular
PostgreSQL (and I can't reproduce it on 9.0 regular PostgreSQL). When
you explain the bug and if I read correctly your patch, it fixes EDB
database only.

So is it a fix for EDB databases or PostgreSQL databases?

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Nikhil S

I"m not sure I understand. You first said that the bug is on regular
PostgreSQL (and I can't reproduce it on 9.0 regular PostgreSQL). When
you explain the bug and if I read correctly your patch, it fixes EDB
database only.

So is it a fix for EDB databases or PostgreSQL databases?

Well, the SQL does get fired against a PG database in the EDBAS mode for me. I too was puzzled about the minimum version check being EDBAS specific.

Anyways the fix to compare a char to a char should be there in any case..

Regards,
Nikhils

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Nikhil S

Well, the SQL does get fired against a PG database in the EDBAS mode for me. I too was puzzled about the minimum version check being EDBAS specific.

Just checked. The version checker function checks for the version number and also for a bool which is set to true in EDBAS mode. So yeah, this will not be repro in pure Postgresql mode operations. Sorry for indicating so. But the issue defo comes if you try to browse a PG database in EDBAS mode.

Regards,
Nikhils

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 08:22, Nikhil S <nixmisc@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Well, the SQL does get fired against a PG database in the EDBAS mode for
>> me. I too was puzzled about the minimum version check being EDBAS specific.
>>

> Just checked. The version checker function checks for the version number and
> also for a bool which is set to true in EDBAS mode. So yeah, this will not
> be repro in pure Postgresql mode operations. Sorry for indicating so. But
> the issue defo comes if you try to browse a PG database in EDBAS mode.

Why would you browse a PG database in EDBAS mode? Isn't there a whole
lot of other things that would break in that case as well?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean with "EDBAS mode"?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On 2/8/11, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 08:22, Nikhil S <nixmisc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Well, the SQL does get fired against a PG database in the EDBAS mode for
>>> me. I too was puzzled about the minimum version check being EDBAS
>>> specific.
>>>

>> Just checked. The version checker function checks for the version number
>> and
>> also for a bool which is set to true in EDBAS mode. So yeah, this will not
>> be repro in pure Postgresql mode operations. Sorry for indicating so. But
>> the issue defo comes if you try to browse a PG database in EDBAS mode.
>
> Why would you browse a PG database in EDBAS mode? Isn't there a whole
> lot of other things that would break in that case as well?
>
> Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean with "EDBAS mode"?

He means when edbas is running in PG mode instead of Oracle mode.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:01, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> Just checked. The version checker function checks for the version number
>>> and
>>> also for a bool which is set to true in EDBAS mode. So yeah, this will not
>>> be repro in pure Postgresql mode operations. Sorry for indicating so. But
>>> the issue defo comes if you try to browse a PG database in EDBAS mode.
>>
>> Why would you browse a PG database in EDBAS mode? Isn't there a whole
>> lot of other things that would break in that case as well?
>>
>> Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean with "EDBAS mode"?
>>

> He means when edbas is running in PG mode instead of Oracle mode.

Ah, that makes more sense.

And pgadmin incorrectly identifies that as an oracle-mode ebas server?
In that case, isn't the actual problem that it's identified as edbas
and not pg?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On 2/8/11, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:01, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> Why would you browse a PG database in EDBAS mode? Isn't there a whole
>>> lot of other things that would break in that case as well?
>>>
>>> Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean with "EDBAS mode"?
>>>

>> He means when edbas is running in PG mode instead of Oracle mode.
>
> Ah, that makes more sense.
>
> And pgadmin incorrectly identifies that as an oracle-mode ebas server?
> In that case, isn't the actual problem that it's identified as edbas
> and not pg?

It doesn't actually care.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:10, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On 2/8/11, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> He means when edbas is running in PG mode instead of Oracle mode.
>>
>> Ah, that makes more sense.
>>
>> And pgadmin incorrectly identifies that as an oracle-mode ebas server?
>> In that case, isn't the actual problem that it's identified as edbas
>> and not pg?
>>

> It doesn't actually care.

Pre this report doesn't it sound like it should?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:10, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> Ah, that makes more sense.
>>>
>>> And pgadmin incorrectly identifies that as an oracle-mode ebas server?
>>> In that case, isn't the actual problem that it's identified as edbas
>>> and not pg?
>>>

>> It doesn't actually care.
>
> Pre this report doesn't it sound like it should?

It *shouldn't*. PG/Oracle mode in PPAS is really just about whether
certain oracle compatibility functions and packages are installed, and
I think the date/time defaults. Oh, and possibly the default casts.
But not the catalog schema.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 22:09, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> It doesn't actually care.
>>
>> Pre this report doesn't it sound like it should?
>
> It *shouldn't*. PG/Oracle mode in PPAS is really just about whether
> certain oracle compatibility functions and packages are installed, and
> I think the date/time defaults. Oh, and possibly the default casts.
> But not the catalog schema.

Forgive me if I'm being dense... but doesn't this error indicate that
it *isn't* just that?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm being dense... but doesn't this error indicate that
> it *isn't* just that?

No. Nikhil said (and the patch matches) that EDBAS, in PG mode or
normal/Oracle mode, has the problem. On PostgreSQL, the problem
doesn't exist (and isn't affected by these code paths anyway).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 22:19, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Forgive me if I'm being dense... but doesn't this error indicate that
>> it *isn't* just that?
>
> No. Nikhil said (and the patch matches) that EDBAS, in PG mode or
> normal/Oracle mode, has the problem. On PostgreSQL, the problem
> doesn't exist (and isn't affected by these code paths anyway).

Hmm. I think I'm clearly not getting how this works, so I should
probably just leave it to those who do :)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Thanks - applied.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Nikhil S <nixmisc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If one clicks on Postgres (non EDB) database and tries to expand the schema
> tab, then the current git head spits out an error. The offending query
> contains the following comparison
>
> protype = 1;
>
> protype is of type char, so it expects the RHS to be a char. However this
> works ok against an EDB database. Anyways, the fix is to compare protype
> with '1'. This sql works fine on both flavours of databases. Fixing this at
> all relevant locations.
>
> Regards,
> Nikhils

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin III: error while browsing schema of PG database

От
Nikhil S

Thanks - applied.

Thanks Dave.