Oh well. That was completely off-topic btw.

> Let's talk of packages now...
>
> > Slackware's packaging system is based on tgz's but I know what you
> > mean. They were only a quick lash up.
>
> Can http://www.slackware.com/config/packages.php be used to
> install your
> packages?

Not as they stand because (iirc) I need to make a tag file and make sure
the full path is in the tarball. There is an rpm2tgz tool listed at the
bottom of the page that might make things more consistent...

> I am currently downloading Mandrake 9.1 for installation on
> an old box. Seems
> like we now have RedHat, Slackware and Mandrake daily
> packages. We still need
> Suse 8?1 packages and Debian packages.

OK.

> - Suse
> I will try to get in contact with the maintainer of
> PostgreSQL packages at
> Suse to ask for help. I met him at the PostgreSQL conference
> in FOSDEM, he is
> a very nice guy.

Sounds good.

> - Debian
> Knopix is the easiest way to install Debian. Maybe it can be
> used to generate
> packages. I don't know anything about Debian. Dave, do you run Debian
> stations at work? Have you tried Knopix? It is designed by a
> PostgreSQL
> hacker.

No, I don't use Debian, and never have.

What about FreeBSD, Mac OS-X & Solaris? They are probably the other main
unixes we should target. I did have FreeBSD on CD, and Solaris 7(?), but
that's x86. No Sparcs around here unfortunately.

I do think that we should get the build sorted first as well though.
Having looked at what's coming out of snake, I think it's (now) half
dynamic and half static. The wx parts are static, but libpq, glibc etc.
are dynamic.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Packaging policy

От
"Dave Page"

Ooops, forgot Windows. I can package that using Wise, but how do we get
the language support in there?

Also, we need to sort out the docs. I don't think having the docs on the
net is such a good idea. We can include the latest PostgreSQL docs in
the tarball, as well as our own stuff, all in HTML format. What do you
think?

Regards, Dave.

pgAdmin3 documentation

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
On Wednesday 11 June 2003 12:28, Dave Page wrote:
> Ooops, forgot Windows. I can package that using Wise, but how do we get
> the language support in there?

Don't know. I have several Windows licenses, but uninstalled them a year ago
because I was loosing too much time in system freezes and the like. At
FOSDEM, I had to borrow the computer of a friend to make a demo of
pgAdmin2...

By the way, it should be possible to cross-compile the Windows builds under
Linux. Just for fun, I guess this is of no help.

> Also, we need to sort out the docs. I don't think having the docs on the
> net is such a good idea. We can include the latest PostgreSQL docs in
> the tarball, as well as our own stuff, all in HTML format. What do you
> think?

That would be cool. I heard the docs were available in several languages... At
least in German since Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> translated them. Why
not include them all? Is this a work for "make" and "make install", Adam?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: Packaging policy

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
On Wednesday 11 June 2003 12:21, Dave Page wrote:
> What about FreeBSD and Solaris?
We should request for help on hackers for this.

> MacOsX
Adam is real master in MacOsX. Seems like wxWindows 2.5 supports MacOsX very
well. The MacOsX station given my sister in law to the community is still
running home 24x24.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about MacOsX. The file structure is
different and some components need to be installed from Apple web site (Adam
took care of it). So I think Adam is the only person capable of doing such a
packaging work. Adam, do you think it is a long way since we provide MacOsX
daily builds?

> I do think that we should get the build sorted first as well though.
> Having looked at what's coming out of snake, I think it's (now) half
> dynamic and half static. The wx parts are static, but libpq, glibc etc.
> are dynamic.

The spec file manages all these dependencies. Here is an abstract:
#
Requires: gtk2 >= 2.2, glibc >= 2.3.2, libjpeg >= 6b, libpng >= 1.2.2, pango
>= 1.2.1, libstdc++ >= 3.2.2, openssl >= 0.9.7, libtiff >= 3.5.7
#
BuildRequires: autoconf >= 2.57, automake >= 1.7.5, gtk2-devel >= 2.2,
postgresql >= 7.3.2, openssl-devel >= 0.9.7
#

I am not very sure of dependencies, we may get more information from users in
case of problems.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: Packaging policy

От
"Adam H. Pendleton"
Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

Adam is real master in MacOsX. Seems like wxWindows 2.5 supports MacOsX very
well. The MacOsX station given my sister in law to the community is still
running home 24x24.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about MacOsX. The file structure is
different and some components need to be installed from Apple web site (Adam
took care of it). So I think Adam is the only person capable of doing such a
packaging work. Adam, do you think it is a long way since we provide MacOsX
daily builds?

I don't want to be a naysayer, but I think we are far from having a working product on MacOS.  Part of this is that the MacOS port of wxWindows has lots of bugs, plus there is something else going on that I think is pgAdmin3 specific, but I haven't been able to track it down.  I will be working on this today.

ahp