Re: How to insert Ecoded values into postrgresql

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: How to insert Ecoded values into postrgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>> aside: anyone know if postgres properly handles csv according to rfc4180?
>
>> Wow, I had no idea there was an RFC for CSV.
>
> Me either.  I'd bet the percentage of "CSV"-using programs that actually
> conform to the RFC is very small anyway; so while it might be smart to
> make sure that what we *emit* follows the RFC, it's probably useless as
> a guide to what we need to *accept*.

Well, we would have to accept it if we emit it, but you're right.
Kinda like how with base64 encoding there are two competing
incompatible (both RFC) standards of doing it.  We accept both but
only emit one.  I'll look at how we handle csv.  I've always been
curious about that actually.   If a standard exists and it isn't
completely insane maybe we should document and encourage it.

merlin