Re: VACUUM process running for a long time

От Jan Krcmar
Тема Re: VACUUM process running for a long time
Дата
Список pgsql-general
hi

2010/4/14 Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch>:
>  -> vacuum can run concurrently to other stuff, so it's not necessary to
> wait before it finishes.
>  -> in most cases, autovacuum should do the Right Thing(tm) atomatically, so
> you should not need to call vacuum manually.
>
> This is with a recent pg version.  Do you use a (very) old version with
> autovacuum?  Is your db server running hot and can't really keep up with
> inserting data as soon as vacuum starts running?
>
> Note that the pg documentation contains lots of useful information about
> tuning autovacuum.  Without knowing how your table looks and how your data
> entry happens (in peaks?  or always at about the same rate?) we probably
> can't help you much more.
>
> cheers
> -- vbi

i'm doing one big insert per day, and one big delete per day

anyway, i've found, this article
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html

could the partitioning be helpfull for this situation?
i guess, that it does the same as the others advised. inserts are
stored into specific table and obsolete table is deleted and allocated
space is freed. am i right?

f.