Re: Commercial postgresql

От Vivek Khera
Тема Re: Commercial postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general

>> second largest table, and 5 per index on the third largest, then about
>> 90 seconds total for the rest of the tables ;-)

SD> Umm.. Since you have only 2.7GB of data, all inclusive, would it
SD> be real downtime if you reindex in a transaction, assuming the
SD> "downtime" was not due to crunch of IO bandwidth..

Reindexing a table takes an exclusive table lock.  If I did it inside
a transaction, wouldn't it still take that lock and block out all
other access?

I just did one index at a time, waited a few minutes did the next for
my big tables, than just reindexed the others all in a row.  Last time
I did this must have been 9 or 10 months.  One index went from 500000
pages to under 220000.  Right now the system is screamingly fast.

Perhaps I need to write an 'auto_reindex' script to notice when this
is necessary and schedule one to run at the wee hours in the morning
at the end of the week...

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/