Re: Commercial postgresql

От Bo Lorentsen
Тема Re: Commercial postgresql
Дата
Re: Commercial postgresql
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 04:08, Vivek Khera wrote:

> I use it in 24/7/365 system which is heavily written to and read
> from.  The drawbacks I have are:
How depressing, may I ask that PG version you are using ?

> 1) upgrade to major versions require dump/restore which is a
>    significant amount of downtime for a large DB.
Ok, this is not a thing you do very often, and it would help is we got a
"diff" (since last backup) pg_dump. As one could install the new DB in
parallel with produktion, and then just apply the diff dump on the db
swap.

> 2) the need to run vacuum on tables to keep them from bloating too
>    much.  on my system which is very busy, sometimes running vacuum
>    pushes the disk beyond its limits and slows the whole system to a
>    crawl.
How often does this vacuum run, and how many delete/updates are there in
between ?

> 3) Index bloat is apparently a bigger problem than I thought.
This does not sound too nice !

> If you want commercial support, it is out there.  There are at least
> two companies offering it.
But you have not been unsing any of there services ?

/BL