Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Tom, Stephan,

> What can happen after a wrap is that the OID generated for a
> newly-created object might conflict with some already-existing
> object's
> OID.  If that happens, you get a duplicate-key-insertion error on the
> OID index of the relevant system catalog (pg_class, pg_type, etc).
> There is a unique index on OID for each system catalog wherein OID
> is used to identify objects.  It doesn't really matter whether the
> same OID is reused in different catalogs or in user tables.

Given this, why bother with system-generated OIDs on user rows at all?
Why not simply reserve the OIDs for the system tables?

Or are you planning to later increase the OIDs to INT8 and start using
them for OODB-analogous behavior on individual records?

> This is certainly not ideal, but it's not nearly as big a problem as
> transaction ID wraparound.  You can live with it, whereas right now
> xact ID wraparound is catastrophic.  That we gotta work on, soon.

Nothing like reassuring us commercial DB users, Tom.  :-P

Can you describe what you're talking about?

-Josh

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: