Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits?
Дата
Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-sql
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Given this, why bother with system-generated OIDs on user rows at all?
> Why not simply reserve the OIDs for the system tables?

An option to not generate OIDs unless requested (on a table-by-table
basis) has been discussed.  It seems like a fine near-term solution
to me.  8-byte OIDs are a longer-term solution, because they'll break
a lot of things (including clients...)

>> This is certainly not ideal, but it's not nearly as big a problem as
>> transaction ID wraparound.  You can live with it, whereas right now
>> xact ID wraparound is catastrophic.  That we gotta work on, soon.

> Nothing like reassuring us commercial DB users, Tom.  :-P
> Can you describe what you're talking about?

It's in the archives: after 4G transactions, your database curls up
and dies.  When your pg_log starts to approach 1Gbyte (2 bits per
transaction) you'd better plan on dump/initdb/reload.
        regards, tom lane

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: