Re: "1-Click" installer problems

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: "1-Click" installer problems
Дата
Re: "1-Click" installer problems  ("Nikhil G. Daddikar" <ngd@celoxis.com>)
Список pgsql-general
> It is not the count that matters. It is the quality. Even after giving logs,
> your folks are unable to figure out the problem. I am facing the same
> problem that was faced by a lot of users on the forum and not one was
> resolved successfully. Otherwise I would've moved ahead on my own. I am
> interested in fixing the installer. I am not interested in manual steps to
> get it working on my PC because there are a hundred other PCs that I have to
> worry about and a fix in the installer would be right step ahead. But
> someone has to admit that there is a problem in the installer. All arguments
> in this thread are junk because 8.3 installer for win32 from postgresql.org
> WORKS using the same conditions on Vista/2003/7 everywhere. It is nothing to
> do with APPDATA or any such thing. Something that worked was broken, it's
> that simple. And nobody wants to know what was.

Are you sure about that? Have you actually tested that? Even if you
find that the old 8.3 pginstaller works where the EDB installer
failed, that doesn't actually demonstrate that pginstaller is
inherently superior to the EDB installer. It is likely due to a fluke.
Perhaps it is down to something vestigial from pginstaller remaining.

Your incredible sense of entitlement is very irritating. Your unctuous
statement that "Evangelizing PGSQL was a mistake", as if you expect a
contrite letter, is just too much to bear.

You're the one with the big ego. I think that people's responses so
far have been very subdued, considering how obnoxious you've been. In
your first e-mail, you called the EDB one click installer "a scam".

I think that the EDB one click installer for windows is a great piece
of software, and I'm very grateful to Dave and the EDB people for
maintaining it, as well as the stack builder that it comes with. I
think we could all do without hearing your idle whining and conspiracy
theories about the PostgreSQL global development group having an
anti-windows bias. In fact, the PostgreSQL devs regularly bend over
backwards to support windows.

Regards,
Peter Geoghegan