Re: I'm about to release the next postgresql RFD. Comments wanted.

От Klaas
Тема Re: I'm about to release the next postgresql RFD. Comments wanted.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
jtbellj3p@presby.edu (Jon Bell) wrote:

> In article <spampit-3A2F1E.20451409112004@host170.octanews.net>,
> Klaas  <spampit@klaas.ca> wrote:
> >In article <2vcp1nF2k0ftbU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> > Mike Cox <mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> comp.databases.postgresql.general
> >
> >How about just comp.databases.postgresql or (shudder)
> >comp.databases.postgresql.misc?
>
> The whole point of this proposal is that c.d.p.general *already* exists in
> an unofficial sense on some servers, and that it should be made
> "official."

While that is true, I think part of the point is also to create a
postgresql big8 newsgroup.

> Creating a new group with a different name will simply
> confuse matters on those servers that already carry c.d.p.general.

I don't think that is an insurmountable problem if it were actually
desirable that the name be changed.  Most of the participants on on the
list, and thus would be unaffected.  The rest use servers that have low
or automatic standards for group creation, so it wouldn't be too
difficult to point people to the new group on those servers.

Since people like the current name, though, it is clearly not worth the
potential confusion <g>.

-Mike