Re: version problem with pg_dump

От Brian Kitzberger
Тема Re: version problem with pg_dump
Дата
Re: version problem with pg_dump  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Steve,

Okay, not only am I new to PostgreSQL but I am new to Linux with a
little experience years ago with Unix.  So I didn't know about rpm nor
does any one else here.  But anyway, the result of running rpm is:

postgresql-libs-7.4.8-0.6
postgresql-server-7.4.8-0.6
postgresql-jdbc-7.3-189.1
postgresql-7.4.8-0.6
qt3-postgresql-3.3.1-35.11

I did an ls in the /usr/bin directory and sure enough there are the
other files I could not find before.  So I guess I will have to cross
the bridge.  As a test, I just mv the file /usr/bin/pg_dump.  If rpm had
a dependence on that file would it cause some kind of error message in
trying to move it?  I was able to successfully move the file to the
root.

Brian

Brian Kitzberger wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> pg_dump --version    returned 7.4.8
> pg_dumpall --version returned 7.4.8
> psql *version  returned 7.4.8
> which pg_dump  returned /usr/bin/pg_dump
> which pg_dumpall   returned /usr/bin/pg_dump
> which psql  returned /usr/bin/psql
>
> To find the file I used from the root
> find . -name pg_dump

It would be unusual for the files to be in those locations if you did
the usual "./configure ; make ; make install". How, exactly, did you
install PostgreSQL?

As Scott suggested, try running "rpm -qa | grep -i postgres" (assuming

rpm is at the core of your package management) and when you find that
it
was already installed, use rpm to erase it.

Here, things can get interesting. While you may not have intentionally

installed PostgreSQL, your package manager may have installed it for
you
to solve a dependency (PHP with PG support or some app that requires PG

for example) you may find your package manager complaining about
dependencies when you try to remove it. But worry about burning that
bridge when you get to it.

Cheers,
Steve