Re: version problem with pg_dump

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: version problem with pg_dump
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 15:32, Brian Kitzberger wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Okay, not only am I new to PostgreSQL but I am new to Linux with a
> little experience years ago with Unix.  So I didn't know about rpm nor
> does any one else here.  But anyway, the result of running rpm is:

Hey, we all started somewhere.  Welcome to the club, eh?

> postgresql-libs-7.4.8-0.6
> postgresql-server-7.4.8-0.6
> postgresql-jdbc-7.3-189.1
> postgresql-7.4.8-0.6
> qt3-postgresql-3.3.1-35.11
>
> I did an ls in the /usr/bin directory and sure enough there are the
> other files I could not find before.  So I guess I will have to cross
> the bridge.  As a test, I just mv the file /usr/bin/pg_dump.  If rpm had
> a dependence on that file would it cause some kind of error message in
> trying to move it?  I was able to successfully move the file to the
> root.

Nah, RPM won't stop you doing things like that.  It will, however, let
you know files are missing if you know the commands to throw at it.

Take a look here:

http://www.rpm.org/

Also, if you're gonna be using linux and postgresql, I'd recommending
downloading and installing some fairly recent versions of each.  For
linux distros, there are hundreds of choices.  Fedora Core 5 just came
out, but 4 is much more stabilized now.  Debian, Suse, Ubuntu are all
good distros.  You can get RedHat Enterprise clones called "white box
linux" or "centos" which are basically exactly the same with different
names inside them.

Then you can just install postgresql with the yum package manager
manager with a command like:

yum install postgres*

and that's it.