Re: Inheritance efficiency

От Vincenzo Romano
Тема Re: Inheritance efficiency
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2010/4/30 Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo.romano@notorand.it>:

>>> Should I move to an "enterprise grade" version of PostgreSQL?
>>
>> The enterprise grade version of PostgreSQL is the community version.
>>
>> Proprietary forks exist, but they don't fix this kind of problem. :)
>
> Hmmm ... I think this is the kind of problems that keeps PostgreSQL away
> from the "enterprise grade" world.
> The ability to cope with thousands of DB objects like (child-)tables,
> indexes, functions and so on with
> O(1) or at least O(log(n))  complexity is among the key points.
>
> For example, the Linux kernel made the big jump with server hardware
> thanks also to the O(1) schedulers.
>
> In this specific case, if you think about "inheritance for
> partitioning" and you stick with the example idea of "one partition
> per month", then the current solution is more than OK.
> In the real world, that is not really the general case, especially in
> the "enterprise grade" world, where maybe you partition with both a
> time stamp and another column, like product code ranges and prefixes
>
> Is there any planning about this improvement?

Could it be possible to just make some changes (adding indexes) to the
information schema
to gain this enterprise gradeness?

--
Vincenzo Romano
NotOrAnd Information Technologies

От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: FW: Java Memory Issue while Loading Postgres library
Сообщение: Re: FW: Java Memory Issue while Loading Postgres library