Re: Inheritance efficiency

От Vincenzo Romano
Тема Re: Inheritance efficiency
Дата
Re: Inheritance efficiency  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Inheritance efficiency  (Alex Hunsaker <badalex@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
2010/4/30 David Fetter <david@fetter.org>:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:29:36AM +0200, Vincenzo Romano wrote:
>> > No info about this point (partial indexes)?
>> > Is also this geared with linear algorithms ?
>>
>> Should I move to an "enterprise grade" version of PostgreSQL?
>
> The enterprise grade version of PostgreSQL is the community version.
>
> Proprietary forks exist, but they don't fix this kind of problem. :)

Hmmm ... I think this is the kind of problems that keeps PostgreSQL away
from the "enterprise grade" world.
The ability to cope with thousands of DB objects like (child-)tables,
indexes, functions and so on with
O(1) or at least O(log(n))  complexity is among the key points.

For example, the Linux kernel made the big jump with server hardware
thanks also to the O(1) schedulers.

In this specific case, if you think about "inheritance for
partitioning" and you stick with the example idea of "one partition
per month", then the current solution is more than OK.
In the real world, that is not really the general case, especially in
the "enterprise grade" world, where maybe you partition with both a
time stamp and another column, like product code ranges and prefixes

Is there any planning about this improvement?

--
Vincenzo Romano
NotOrAnd Information Technologies