Re: Need Help in Taking Backups

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Need Help in Taking Backups
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
In the last exciting episode, gourish@gmail.com (Gourish Singbal) wrote:
> Whats the Best plan to take Backups for Postgres 7.4.5 database
> considering the database is 24/7 and transaction based.

Well, you can take a pg_dump to get the state of the system at a point
in time.  That's very easy, although it's anyone's guess whether
that's an acceptable answer or not.

But you really need to specify your 'disaster modelling' and recovery
requirements in _much_ greater detail.

It may be that in order to keep recovery time down, you'll need to use
a replication system such as Slony-I to give you a "hot backup" that's
sitting just a few transactions behind.  Or perhaps the answer will be
to wait for "sophistication" for 8.0 and record transaction logs in
order to use PITR.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html