Обсуждение: Need Help in Taking Backups

Need Help in Taking Backups

От
Gourish Singbal
Дата:
Whats the Best plan to take Backups for Postgres 7.4.5 database
considering the database is 24/7 and transaction based.

--
Best,
Gourish Singbal

Re: Need Help in Taking Backups

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
In the last exciting episode, gourish@gmail.com (Gourish Singbal) wrote:
> Whats the Best plan to take Backups for Postgres 7.4.5 database
> considering the database is 24/7 and transaction based.

Well, you can take a pg_dump to get the state of the system at a point
in time.  That's very easy, although it's anyone's guess whether
that's an acceptable answer or not.

But you really need to specify your 'disaster modelling' and recovery
requirements in _much_ greater detail.

It may be that in order to keep recovery time down, you'll need to use
a replication system such as Slony-I to give you a "hot backup" that's
sitting just a few transactions behind.  Or perhaps the answer will be
to wait for "sophistication" for 8.0 and record transaction logs in
order to use PITR.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html

Re: Need Help in Taking Backups

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Well, you can take a pg_dump to get the state of the system at a point
in time.  That's very easy.

But you really need to specify your 'disaster modelling' and recovery
requirements in _much_ greater detail.  It may be that in order to
keep recovery time down, you'll need to use a replication system such
as Slony-I to give you a "hot backup" that's sitting just a few
transactions behind.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html
"We defeated the enemy with teamwork and the hammer of not bickering."
-- The Shoveller, Mystery Men

Re: Need Help in Taking Backups

От
Gourish Singbal
Дата:
Thanks, i think Slony-I might be an answer to my questions. But need
to explore Slony-I before saying anything.

Has Anybody found any dificulties in implementing hotback, using Slony-I.
Thoughts would be of great help.

regards
Gourish.

On 7 Dec 2004 04:17:21 GMT, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
> Well, you can take a pg_dump to get the state of the system at a point
> in time.  That's very easy.
>

> But you really need to specify your 'disaster modelling' and recovery
> requirements in _much_ greater detail.  It may be that in order to
> keep recovery time down, you'll need to use a replication system such
> as Slony-I to give you a "hot backup" that's sitting just a few
> transactions behind.
> --
> let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
> http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html
> "We defeated the enemy with teamwork and the hammer of not bickering."
> -- The Shoveller, Mystery Men

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Best,
Gourish Singbal