Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when DGoulet@vicr.com ("Goulet, Dick") wrote:
> Well, thanks for the leeway, but getting one's nose rubbed in things for
> good and bad comes with the turf.  If there's one thing I've learned
> about software over the years it's that there are many ways to skin the
> same cat, just some are less painful than others.
>
> Anyway, to the discussion: Commercial software, not just databases
> and outside of MicroSludge, always want to be installed in their own
> user accounts.  PostGreSql does not recommend the same since it
> recommends being installed by root.  This sets off auditors and
> sysadmins, especially those with little open source experience.
> Management is not too happy about it as well, nor are security
> folks.

Excuse me?

Where is there any such recommendation?

The one place which documents this is the following:

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/install-procedure.html>
"To install PostgreSQL enter

gmake install

This will install files into the directories that were specified in
step 1. Make sure that you have appropriate permissions to write into
that area. Normally you need to do this step as root. Alternatively,
you could create the target directories in advance and arrange for
appropriate permissions to be granted."

That does not _recommend_ having root install the software; it says
"Normally you need to do this step as root" which does not look like a
recommendation to me.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/oses.html

Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!