Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!

От Goulet, Dick
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Well, thanks for the leeway, but getting one's nose rubbed in things for
good and bad comes with the turf.  If there's one thing I've learned
about software over the years it's that there are many ways to skin the
same cat, just some are less painful than others.

Anyway, to the discussion: Commercial software, not just databases and
outside of MicroSludge, always want to be installed in their own user
accounts.  PostGreSql does not recommend the same since it recommends
being installed by root.  This sets off auditors and sysadmins,
especially those with little open source experience.   Management is not
too happy about it as well, nor are security folks.  It's a simple
matter if you don't have to access root owned software, other than
operating system installed, then "things must be safer".  I'll admit to
being part of that culture and having a bias.  I like having root
restricted, including making it impossible to login to root except
through the system console or via su.  Means that to break in from
outside you've got to break two accounts, not one.  That leads it self
to Postgres install as well.  I as the DBA should be able to install,
upgrade, etc the software without access to the root account.  Simply
put the fewer people who know the root password the fewer who can
destroy the system and the fewer who have to be told when the password
changes.  And the fewer people who know anything, the more secure it is.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA