Re: Replication in main PostgreSQL codebase

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Replication in main PostgreSQL codebase
Дата
Re: Replication in main PostgreSQL codebase  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Replication in main PostgreSQL codebase  (Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
After a long battle with technology, list.pgsql-admin@picton.net ("Matt Browne"), an earthling, wrote:
> I apologise in advance if any of my questions are in a FAQ somewhere - I
> haven't seen them...
>
> Does anyone know when (if ever) replication support will be added to the
> main PostgreSQL codebase? Is there any chance it'll be included in the
> upcoming 7.5 release?

Not much of a chance.

> I've taken a look at the replication solutions already available,
> including the sterling effort made on Slony-I, but we're really
> looking for integrated, base-level support rather than an add-in.

The problem is that "replication" doesn't tend to mean one thing, but
people rather have different ideas of what it means.

Jan Wieck puts it fairly nicely:

  "The number of different replication solutions available supports
   the theory that ``one size fits all'' is not true when it comes to
   database replication."
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/emacs.html