Re: Libpq question

От Jasen Betts
Тема Re: Libpq question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2012-05-16, John Townsend <jtownsend@advancedformulas.com> wrote:

> *** So...the question: Is there a good reason why you might want to NOT
> use libpq.dll, and just directly access the server through direct
> function calls? ***

libpq binds you to using NUL terminated C strings, and, no doubt, other C
idioms. if you do it directly you can use the native object model of
your chosen platform instead of neding to wrap the libpq allocator in
your native object model etc... ther's probably other reasons too.

> Btw, I just compiled libpq.dll with Visual C++ 2008. The resulting
> compilation (32bit) was 109 KB as opposed to 165 KB which was downloaded
> (Enterprise site). I use C++ very little, so this is probably due to
> compiler settings / flags, or perhaps just the use of just another compiler.

It could be the difference between stripped and non-stripped. I have
not looked closely at the provided libpq.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural